PDA

View Full Version : Update Win7 Pro N version.

Snorkbox
15-03-2011, 09:09 AM
I have a student version of Win7 Pro 64 bit the N version which does not have Windows Media Player.

There is a stand alone installer which I have downloaded and tried to install but the update failed with error code 800706BE.

The standalone installer says it will work with Win7 64 SP1 but I can't get it to do so here.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/968211

Any ideas?

The sound works on my rig and I am using the on board sound on an Asus A8N-SLI premium with a 4400+ AMD CPU and 2 Gig RAM.

Speedy Gonzales
15-03-2011, 10:03 AM
800706BE may mean there's a prob with the servers. Or something like a firewall maybe blocking something. What firewall is installed? Besides windows firewall? Or the file you downloaded is corrupt

Snorkbox
15-03-2011, 11:38 AM
Only the Win7 firewall is installed and I have downloaded the standalone update three times now. The update when run copies to the update cache then initialises, then runs. At that point I get to accept the EULA and it says installing. There is no progress on the install bar and after about two hours it spits the dummy with the error 800706BE. Antivirus is MSE BTW.

Speedy Gonzales
15-03-2011, 11:49 AM
You're not the only one with this prob (http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/Search/Search?SearchTerm=KB968211&CurrentScope.ForumName=Windows&CurrentScope.Filter=&askingquestion=false)

Snorkbox
15-03-2011, 12:05 PM
You're not the only one with this prob (http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/Search/Search?SearchTerm=KB968211&CurrentScope.ForumName=Windows&CurrentScope.Filter=&askingquestion=false)

I'm aware of that but I have not yet found an answer that helps.

Speedy Gonzales
15-03-2011, 12:13 PM
Post a question then

pctek
15-03-2011, 02:12 PM
Install VLC

wainuitech
15-03-2011, 02:33 PM
If its failing because of an update, or it thinks its an update, the Softwaredistubition folder may be damaged.

:2cents:

Usually when ever there is an update error these days I don't piss around, simply delete the SoftwareDistubition Folder in the windows folder, and every time its fixed the update problem.
Windows will make a new folder when the updates are run again. Only thing is if you delete that folder you cant un-install any previous updates.

May or may not be an update problem ?

Snorkbox
15-03-2011, 02:55 PM
I'll give that a go.

It used to work but now it doesn't.

I decided to do a complete reinstall of Win 7 after SP1 came out. At the same time I have also reinstalled WinXPPro 64 of which I have a full version so I can now dual boot. Windows Media Player works in XP but I can't update the N Version of Win7 Pro with the standalone installer.

It's no biggie really as if I want to use WMP I can boot into XP.

I'm guessing it might be a problem related to SP1 so I might do another install of Win7 N without SP1.

wainuitech
16-03-2011, 02:09 PM
I'm guessing it might be a problem related to SP1 so I might do another install of Win7 N without SP1. it seems to work fine with Sp1 - just loaded up the N Version then installed the media pack. It was on a X86 version though, since the PC its loaded on wont take X64. See attachment

I'd say thers some sort of corruption in the system or corrupted update folder stopping it.