PDA

View Full Version : Help with formatting 12 Pc same model Compaq

shkumma
15-03-2011, 06:30 AM
I have 12 pc same model i want to format them i heard its something possibel with ghost but i didnt do..if its possible any idea from you?
thnx in advandce...

gary67
15-03-2011, 07:53 AM
If they are all exactly the same then yes you could reinstall one and then create an image to install on the others using something like True image or active@disc image to then install on the others as an image is much quicker to install

fred_fish
15-03-2011, 08:00 AM
Install one, then udpcast (http://udpcast.linux.lu/) it to the other 11 all at the same time :cool:

wainuitech
15-03-2011, 08:01 AM
What gary suggested is basically how to do it.

Just a couple of things you will need to make sure of.

Dont enter a product key when installing unless its a volume licence, - you will have to go around and change the Product key on each one if not a volume licence. If on a network you will have to go to each PC and give it a different Name, as you cant have more than one with the same network name on the LAN, they will clash.

Agent_24
15-03-2011, 10:42 AM
if you clone you will get other problems like the SID being the same for every system.

That's why after install you should run Sysprep to ensure they are all unique.

Installing from network as Fred_fish said is also a good way to avoid these problems.

fred_fish
15-03-2011, 10:59 AM
if you clone you will get other problems like the SID being the same for every system.

That's why after install you should run Sysprep to ensure they are all unique.

Installing from network as Fred_fish said is also a good way to avoid these problems.

Not really :)
udpcast just clones the source machine to multiple targets simultaneously via udp multicast.
I ignored the issues of making it work successfully afterwards :eek:

SolMiester
15-03-2011, 11:30 AM
You could run sysprep after cloning to get new SID's

Agent_24
15-03-2011, 11:53 AM
Not really :)
udpcast just clones the source machine to multiple targets simultaneously via udp multicast.
I ignored the issues of making it work successfully afterwards :eek:

Aah, I thought it was a alternative to RIS\WDS which essentially did the same thing.

Does something like that exist, actually? I wouldn't mind trying it out if it did...

wainuitech
15-03-2011, 12:00 PM
You could run sysprep after cloning to get new SID's:thumbs: Which is how its meant to be done.

Agent_24
15-03-2011, 12:02 PM
And what I said to begin with...

Chilling_Silence
16-03-2011, 07:49 AM
SelfImage is a nice easy way to do it :)

You need to install PC #1
Put the HDD of PC #1 into another machine (Or a Live windows CD) as well as the destination drive
Clone :D

Free and easy!
http://majorgeeks.com/SelfImage_d5588.html