PDA

View Full Version : Crawler headache

effie c
14-03-2011, 04:55 PM
Hi,

I have just completed an upgrade using some of my old hardware- pooter going like a dream, now--probably a faulty h/d causing trouble, previous to this

On reloading a lot of programs including the mandatory Internet Explorer, I have had to accept a crawler home page instead of my normal one (nzherald ) so to get past that I have to type in my preferred home page.

I use FF with xtra, and NZHerald with I/E

Next reboot back comes the Crawler page- I have uninstalled Crawler using Revo uninstaller, and cleaned out all possible files pertaining to that--

Result---as above- Can anybody help get rid of this please?
:badpc:

effie c

lakewoodlady
14-03-2011, 05:02 PM
Hi,

I have just completed an upgrade using some of my old hardware- pooter going like a dream, now--probably a faulty h/d causing trouble, previous to this

On reloading a lot of programs including the mandatory Internet Explorer, I have had to accept a crawler home page instead of my normal one (nzherald ) so to get past that I have to type in my preferred home page.

I use FF with xtra, and NZHerald with I/E

Next reboot back comes the Crawler page- I have uninstalled Crawler using Revo uninstaller, and cleaned out all possible files pertaining to that--

Result---as above- Can anybody help get rid of this please?
:badpc:

effie c

This any help? http://www.ehow.com/how_5118420_remove-crawler-toolbar.html

LL

effie c
14-03-2011, 05:58 PM
Hi Lakewoodlady,

sorry- I have already done that in the excellent program Revo uninstller- which went through tose motions and I even clered out any connected files- yes it should have been and gone

I did howver go through your site and I am not able to click on the stated crawler icon- it ain't there.

computer serach shows nothing-any further ideas,please?

effie c

wainuitech
14-03-2011, 06:14 PM
You got Spyware Terminator Installed ?

If so uninstall it, Crawler comes bundled with it, but can be disabled when setting up (under the custom install)

lakewoodlady
14-03-2011, 07:18 PM
You got Spyware Terminator Installed ?

If so uninstall it, Crawler comes bundled with it, but can be disabled when setting up (under the custom install)

Good one Wainuitech!

LL

effie c
14-03-2011, 08:12 PM
Hi Wainui Tech

No luck- I liked your idea but crawler appears to be permanently embedded- I again cleaned out all traces of spyware terminator,. still showed on I/E webpage,and that webpage is an integral part of I/E so cannot be uninstalled and reloaded

I tried Lakewoodlady's site but cannot find the crawler icon she talks about-or I am as stupid as I originally thought :blush:

It has to have a solution surely but where?

Any more bright ideas, especially in the light of being embedded?

effie c

Snorkbox
14-03-2011, 08:14 PM
The icon in IE, on the toolbar. Is there a dropdown list there?

effie c
14-03-2011, 08:45 PM
Hi Snorkbox

No there is a dropdown but no question of 'uninstall" or any similar wording
I beleieve I am well stuck withit- it is Malware and I did a scan for same- nought!

I have searched a lot of sites that appear to acknowledge the problem- downloaded some and tried - and each time I cannot see what appears to be an embedded program in I/E

"Keep them cards and letters a'coming folks"--I'se stuck

effie c

wainuitech
14-03-2011, 09:11 PM
Something you can try - download and run Final uninstaller (http://www.finaluninstaller.com/blog/ut/how-to-uninstall-crawler-toolbar.html#txt1).

I only found this, while searching for the actual reg keys - Never tried it before or heard of it.

I just downloaded and and run it, there were no alerts from any software saying its got bugs etc. I ran the Remnants section, and it found quite a few pieces of older programs that were on this PC. Right clicked one, and sure enough - all reg keys.

If you decide to run it, MAKE A RESTORE POINT FIRST - just in case:D -- Hence in caps - better to be safe than sorry. It should find Crawler - select it, then clean it.

The reg keys and all their locations are listed nearer the bottom of that page, for manual removal if required.

Assuming it works - either uninstall the program or keep it, up to you. I'll do some more testing during the week to see what if anything it breaks with its other many functions - If I get time.

effie c
14-03-2011, 09:33 PM
Hi Wainui Tech,

That is a very clever program- it found many files that CCleaner missed----but the crawler window add on in I/E has not been cleared

There is absolutely nothing left in this pooter about crawler except that which is embedded in I/e---I can live with it I suppose,it just bugs me that I am powerless to get rid of it

I too have searched, Googled, and done everything I know---

I can't uninstall I/E 9 then reinstall it can I?---I have the install CD here if it needed repair

Do try-you guys --- we have yet another hospital appointment again tomorrow so when I get back I will carry on the search

effie c

wainuitech
14-03-2011, 10:15 PM
Just be careful with that program - I have no idea if it will do damage, like reg cleaning or not - have not tested it yet.

On that page is a list of all the reg / folder files - Crawler can be removed, just depends on if you want to dive into the reg, some are more of a pain than others. Just don't remove the wrong things.

lakewoodlady
14-03-2011, 10:33 PM
What about installing Firefox or Chrome and then uninstalling IE 9 through Add/Remove Windows Components? Then reinstall IE 8, (IE 9 is too buggy yet anyway) if you think you really want it.

LL

effie c
15-03-2011, 08:48 AM
Hi Lakewoodlady and Wainuitech,

Bingo-- no success after a systems restore failed to the point of installing I/E v9-there was Crawler awaiting a welcom to be installed--
--so The program does not come with Spyware blaster, but lo and behold I/E9

I will follow LL after a medical appointment, in say 1 hour
Will be in touch

effie c

Snorkbox
15-03-2011, 09:02 AM
What happens if you click tools > manage addons.

Crawler did not come with my IE9 RC so I don't know how you got it.

wainuitech
15-03-2011, 09:10 AM
What happens if you click tools > manage addons.

Crawler didnt not come with my IE9 RC so I don't know how you got it.

:thumbs: Crawler wont be in IE9 - its a toolbar, Why would Microsoft add an oppositions toolbar into their software - if it were Bing, then yes - thats microsoft.

IE9 is still in RC, the RTM is actually due out any time now - (read as today).
Microsoft has announced the official version of IE9 RTM to be released on March 14, And the download for public will be available on same day. Sources says that IE9 RTM Final has build string 9.00.8112.16421.110308-0330 and it is leaked. If you are 100% sure it was in IE - If you downloaded it earlier from anywhere else than Microsoft ( which you cant of) then its not the original, and crawler may have been added to the leaked version.

so The program does not come with Spyware blaster Dont know about spywareblaster - but it is an option in Spyware Terminator.

Snorkbox
15-03-2011, 09:21 AM
I knew that IE9 was being released today. But from Microsoft they are still dishing out the RC as of about 20 minutes ago.

effie c
15-03-2011, 09:39 AM
Hi,

Sorry Spyware terminator , shouls be - yes it is in there and I thought I downloadedI/E 9 from Microsoft

I think I will try LL idea of v8, then upgrade later-if that is wiswe

effie c

Agent_24
15-03-2011, 10:37 AM
I knew that IE9 was being released today. But from Microsoft they are still dishing out the RC as of about 20 minutes ago.

It might be Today here, but it's probably still Yesterday where Bill lives, so you'll probably have to wait for Tomorrow when it'll be Today there!

smurf
15-03-2011, 11:00 AM
From PC World Press F1 News
Microsoft to release IE9 tonight
TUESDAY, 15 MARCH, 2011
Microsoft will launch Internet Explorer 9 (IE9), the first upgrade to its browser since 2009, tonight at 5PM New Zealand time.

effie c
15-03-2011, 11:23 AM
Hi all,

I/E will not load onto W 7-:yuck:

I re restored back to current -ie all updates in place-I somehow stopped Crawler from loading tool bar etc, and now get MSN as a home page

I can no longer see a "set NZHerald as home page" button, and am fearful of going near crawler in it's present frame of mind :groan:

Can anyone remember where in the pooter I can set a home page, for I/E v 9

would V 9 I/E from official site, load and superimpose over v8?

effie c

smurf
15-03-2011, 11:32 AM
http://blog.itechtalk.com/2011/setting-home-page-in-ie9/

effie c
15-03-2011, 04:58 PM
Hi Smurf,

I had forgotten that thanks

Have got a measure of control over this crawler invasion--the secret- when asked if you want a crawler tool bar and etc----DO NOT,repeat,NOT allow any access, whether it be an integral part of I/E v9, 0r any spyware program- they appear to have taken over the universe so to speak, and are showing their availablity in a lot of programs

The various surefire cures did not work and many demanded 0ver US $20 to do a clean up- and no guarantee at that.

It will be a trap for many-I/E v 9 appears normal now but I sure sweated blood in getting out from under
:crying
Thanks to all and may all, remember this post ;-(

effie c

Snorkbox
15-03-2011, 05:04 PM
I just got the final of IE9.

Pleased you sorted Crawler.

nerd89
15-03-2011, 10:44 PM
2cents worth. You sure you haven't just got crawler set up as home page. Revo doesn't remove irritating homepages.

effie c
16-03-2011, 10:46 AM
Hi,

No, thanks to smurf et al., v9 going very well now- thanks Wainui T, yes it is faster and as has been suggested one can make it what one wants.

Thanks one and all

:clap

effie c