PDA

View Full Version : Win7 system disk screwed (?)

Tony
14-03-2011, 11:52 AM
I tried to extend my Win7 partition by shrinking the one next to it and then extending the C: partition. It sort of turned to custard. I had a stage where I was getting "boot mgr missing" when I restarted. I fixed (?) that by running a startup repair from the Win7 DVD. What I now have is a system that boots OK, but the C: drive shows up in My Computer, but with no size info (the bar that is displayed) and if I double-click it it tells me access denied. If I try to access "administrative tools" for instance it tells me it can't find the msc file. Ordinary apps start up OK - they are on a different partition, but I don't know what they will be like if they can't access the registry for instance.

Any ideas about what I might do to fix this? I don't have a backup drive image, but I do have Windows Home Server backups of the C: drive.

wainuitech
14-03-2011, 02:21 PM
Sounds like W7 turned partly turtle when moving the partitions, that can happen sometimes.

You can try running chkdsk and see if that finds the faults, or fixes it. But then again it could also make it worse - could be a case of suck it and see.

If WHS is set to backup daily (like mine is) then you can always try running it, thats what its meant to do. BUT just to be double sure, I'd backup/Image the drives beforehand. Never had any problems when doing a recovery from WHS, but there is always a first I spose. Just make sure if you use WHS to put back the backup in the correct partition.

Tony
14-03-2011, 04:33 PM
I've tried using the WHS restore. It requires you to boot from the recovery CD, and when I did that, it said it couldn't find the server - network error.

I use paragon partion manager. I used its recovery disk, created an image of the partition, formatted the partition and restored the image, and ended up exactly where I started. I guess I was hoping that the reformat would restore the partition properties.

I'll give the WHS restore another go. If the worst hapens I can always reinstall W7 - but I'd prefer not to. At least I have all my apps installed ina different partition, which will make the reconstruction slightly less painful.

Snorkbox
14-03-2011, 04:41 PM
I'm confused. If your apps are on a different partition how are you going to recreate the reg entries on a new Win7 install?

Tony
14-03-2011, 05:00 PM
I'm confused. If your apps are on a different partition how are you going to recreate the reg entries on a new Win7 install?All I meant is that at least I have a full list of all the apps - and some of them will run without the registry.

Tony
14-03-2011, 05:08 PM
It looks like I've fixed it.

I booted into Vista, and that showed the Win7 partition without any problem, so I knew the issue was not a fundamental formatting/setup one.

I booted into Win7 safe mode, and that also showed the partition properly.

Back into Win7 and when I tried to access the C: drive I got access denied with an error 0x800704b3.

Google gave me this (http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itprogeneral/thread/55e914fc-7ff2-440a-9d14-13ccceeb756c) page, and the first reply lead me to regedit, where I followed the edit advice - I thought even if it goes horribly wrong I'm not ging to be much worse off.

Booted back into Win7 and it all seems OK - although I don't know if there are any little time bombs waiting to explode.

Can anyone tell me what those registry hacks actually did?

wainuitech
14-03-2011, 06:18 PM
Good that its fixed - Just curious
I booted into Vista, and that showed the Win7 partition without any problem Is this Dual boot ?

Tony
14-03-2011, 06:31 PM
Yes it is.

The system seems a bit slow - but that may just be imagination.

Do you have any idea what happened with those registry hacks?

wainuitech
14-03-2011, 06:46 PM
Re the reg hacks, Not off the top of my head ( its monday and I'm knackered to much of :waughh: weekend) :) Disengage brain. ;)

But on looking them up:

EnableLUA specifies whether Windows® User Account Controls (UAC) notifies the user when programs try to make changes to the computer. UAC was formerly known as Limited User Account (LUA).

ConsentPromptBehaviorAdmin = http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc232761(PROT.10).aspx

MMC is just the Management Console, which basically lets you change "A Lot" of windows settings, behavior.

Looks like "permissions" settings somehow turned turtle.

With the WHS error-- I get that error sometimes on Newer PC's that I have - the WHS rescue CD doesn't know what drivers to use on the NIC, so I have to point them to the right ones, generally on a USB drive.

Tony
14-03-2011, 07:15 PM
OK, thanks for that. I guess I'll just go with the flow...