PDA

View Full Version : Which router?

Cicero
13-03-2011, 04:05 PM
Friend is getting the Asus 12" eee.
She noted a asus WIFI router for $65, question which should she get, the Asus sounds cheap I have no Idea what to recommend.

Thanks lads.

Chilling_Silence
13-03-2011, 04:16 PM
I've had mixed results with the Asus Routers, but I like the WL-520GU router for use with Tomato or Gargoyle. The 520GC has only 2MB flash so don't go there.

Without knowing the specific make / model, or if she needs ADSL in the Router, or just a wireless AP, it's hard to advise too specifically ... See if you can find out a lil more :)

See here: http://www.c2s.co.nz/blog/?p=84

Cicero
13-03-2011, 06:39 PM
I've had mixed results with the Asus Routers, but I like the WL-520GU router for use with Tomato or Gargoyle. The 520GC has only 2MB flash so don't go there.

Without knowing the specific make / model, or if she needs ADSL in the Router, or just a wireless AP, it's hard to advise too specifically ... See if you can find out a lil more :)

See here: http://www.c2s.co.nz/blog/?p=84

I can tell you that she will use router to access net in lounge and that is it.

Her PC is in office adjacent.

Chilling_Silence
13-03-2011, 08:01 PM
Does she already have an existing and reliable ADSL Modem?

Cicero
13-03-2011, 08:25 PM
Does she already have an existing and reliable ADSL Modem?

She does, I thought she would replace with Wireless jobbie?

Chilling_Silence
13-03-2011, 08:45 PM
Depends on if the new one has ADSL or not ?

Cicero
14-03-2011, 06:08 AM
Depends on if the new one has ADSL or not ?

We will only find that out, once you tell her what to buy?

Chilling_Silence
14-03-2011, 06:36 AM
Ah! I thought she was interested in going with that Asus model.

I'd go for the NetComm NB6Plus4Wn. They're not expensive, they're easy to install, they're reliable:
http://pbtech.co.nz/index.php?z=p&p=MODNCM1065&name=NETCOMM-NB6PLUS4Wn-ADSL2+-11n-Fully-featured-300Mb

Cicero
14-03-2011, 07:15 AM
Ah! I thought she was interested in going with that Asus model.

I'd go for the NetComm NB6Plus4Wn. They're not expensive, they're easy to install, they're reliable:
http://pbtech.co.nz/index.php?z=p&p=MODNCM1065&name=NETCOMM-NB6PLUS4Wn-ADSL2+-11n-Fully-featured-300Mb

She was interested in the Asus unit, but with no idea if it was considering.

I have sent her your recommendation, we can only lead a horse to water.

Thanks for that, I had no idea you had gone into the question of routers so thoroughly.

Chilling_Silence
14-03-2011, 07:48 AM
Ha, yeah I just didn't want to recommend the likes of the NB6Plus4Wn if she wants to keep her existing ADSL modem and simply "Add wifi" to it :)

CliveM
14-03-2011, 08:00 AM
Ha, yeah I just didn't want to recommend the likes of the NB6Plus4Wn if she wants to keep her existing ADSL modem and simply "Add wifi" to it :)

I put one of these in a couple of weeks ago after reading Chills recommendations. It does exactly what he says and I am more than happy with it.

Cicero
14-03-2011, 08:50 AM

I am not sure about that?

I was thinking of replacement, so as not to cause any confusion.
Any extra cost is worth it to have least complicated situation.

John H
14-03-2011, 09:22 AM
For what it is worth, I have an ADSL modem/router, a separate Wireless Access Point, AND a switch attached to the router because I ran out of room. Cables for Africa, and three power bricks as well that all need a space to live.

I only have that set up because I added things according to need at the time. It would be far less complicated if I had done what Chill recommends - chuck everything and buy a wireless router with adsl built in. Incidentally, each item in my set up apart from the switch cost more at the time than the single item Chill has recommended. Sigh... It makes a lot of sense to cut your losses early on and go for the most uncomplicated option, even if you end up with a redundant bit of kit.

Cicero
14-03-2011, 10:35 AM
For what it is worth, I have an ADSL modem/router, a separate Wireless Access Point, AND a switch attached to the router because I ran out of room. Cables for Africa, and three power bricks as well that all need a space to live.

I only have that set up because I added things according to need at the time. It would be far less complicated if I had done what Chill recommends - chuck everything and buy a wireless router with adsl built in. Incidentally, each item in my set up apart from the switch cost more at the time than the single item Chill has recommended. Sigh... It makes a lot of sense to cut your losses early on and go for the most uncomplicated option, even if you end up with a redundant bit of kit.

That is was I was trying to say, one router to do all, chuck old out.

Cicero
14-03-2011, 10:48 AM
Without wishing to complicate matters,I would like an opinion of this unit........

http://goo.gl/jFexv

Chilling_Silence
14-03-2011, 11:09 AM
No, that's just complicating things :p

I've only *briefly* used one. The NetComm was slightly easier to setup, and cheaper, so I'd still stick with it personally (if it was me). Better the devil you know ... ;)

Cicero
14-03-2011, 11:25 AM
No, that's just complicating things :p

I've only *briefly* used one. The NetComm was slightly easier to setup, and cheaper, so I'd still stick with it personally (if it was me). Better the devil you know ... ;)

I like it from the horses mouth, thanks old bean.

Chilling_Silence
14-03-2011, 12:30 PM
No worries, happy to help :)

Let us know how she gets on yeah?

John H
17-03-2011, 02:52 PM
Chill, I was looking at a couple of reviews of the NetComm nb6plus4wn and they said it didn't play nicely with Centrino laptops of several brands - it was very slow. Of course that may have changed with later firmware.

My laptop is a Fujitsu Lifebook P5010 and its wireless adaptor is an Intel Pro/Wireless LAN 2100 which is still in the dark ages (b, I think).

Could you recommend a usb wireless adaptor that would play nicely with the nb6plus4wn? Would a change of adaptor deal with the speed issue do you think?

Thanks, John

Chilling_Silence
17-03-2011, 03:43 PM
It would, though the latest firmware may have fixed that for the NB6Plus4Wn.

Then again I've had a mates Intel Pro/Wireless that also didn't play nice with a mates Linksys WRT54GL either, but it played nicely with my Asus WL-520GU.

Where did you find that review? Coz I recommended the router to a guy at church and he said the same thing, I'm guessing he found the same review you did, though he doesn't have that chipset in his laptop so it's a non-issue.

Personally, I'd just suck it and see, you may find it just works fine. If it doesn't, you can get almost any other USB WLAN adapter and it'll be fine :)

John H
17-03-2011, 04:02 PM
Thanks Chill. I just googled and several reviews came up. The one I am quoting primarily is PCWorld Australia: http://www.pcworld.idg.com.au/review/networking_wireless_voip/netcomm/nb6plus4wn/316968

The other one was testseek.com, and the language suggested there might have been a spot of plagiarism going on somewhere. You find that a lot in reviews and it becomes difficult to find out who was the original author and who are the plagiarists!

My Pro/Wireless 2100 works fine (as far as that technology is concerned!) with my Linksys Wireless-G access point WAP54G, even though the lappie is b, not g.

I am trying to see if PB Tech will do a bundle of router and USB wireless adaptor, and will let you know what happens.

I notice there is now another thread going about an updated firmware for this router, and it is later than the one when the review was written.

Chilling_Silence
17-03-2011, 04:07 PM
According to that review, you're still going to be getting close to double what your internet speeds are likely to be, with the "slow" N-wireless speeds. If you're using B-Wireless, that's not what they're talking about, so I wouldn't worry.

Cicero
17-03-2011, 05:08 PM
While on the subject, I just had a problem with my Belkin N wireles jobbie,lost adsl connection,yellow light flashing instead of blue,got out my old modem, Belikin didn't like that, so started up again.

What might have been the story there.?

Chilling_Silence
18-03-2011, 08:00 AM
Overheating? That, or the fact it's a Belkin? :D

No seriously, I've never had good results with Belkins:
http://www.c2s.co.nz/blog/?p=84

Cicero
18-03-2011, 08:55 AM
Overheating? That, or the fact it's a Belkin? :D

No seriously, I've never had good results with Belkins:
http://www.c2s.co.nz/blog/?p=84

I note when I disconnect power and leave for say 5 Min's it comes right, it has done it 3 times now, have sent info to Belkin and await response.

Working all right this morn.

If any major bother will get the one you suggested.

John H
18-03-2011, 09:07 AM
My old Dynalink adsl router used to have the same symptoms as your Belkin Cicero, and it seems that Chill's explanation of overheating was the correct diagnosis for mine.

I touched it one day when re-booting it to unlock the darned thing and it was almost too hot to touch. I found out later that this was a common fault with that model.

Cicero
18-03-2011, 09:53 AM
My old Dyna link ADSL router used to have the same symptoms as your Belkin Cicero, and it seems that Chill's explanation of overheating was the correct diagnosis for mine.

I touched it one day when re-booting it to unlock the darned thing and it was almost too hot to touch. I found out later that this was a common fault with that model.

Well John, I just touched mine and it is warm but not hot.
I am of course referring to my router.:rolleyes:
No doubt Belkin will sort, or is that wishful thinking?

John H
18-03-2011, 09:59 AM
Well John, I just touched mine and it is warm but not hot.
I am of course referring to my router.:rolleyes:
No doubt Belkin will sort, or is that wishful thinking?

Now why would I have thought you were touching anything else? :blush:

Hmmm, well mine certainly got close to egg frying time (the router that is).

I have never dealt with Belkin - I only have one of their products and it has been fault free (a small wireless mouse for travelling with my laptop, being somewhat allergic to touch pads). Good luck.

Chilling_Silence
18-03-2011, 11:04 AM
You would be surprised.

They *may* replace it under warranty, but you'd be better taking it back to where you purchased it from and getting a different model.