PDA

View Full Version : Reading OSX 10.6.6 User Folder

Geek4414
12-03-2011, 05:53 PM
Tried to copy data off a OSX 10.6.6 (from a MacBook) HDD, managed to read the HDD but can't seem to see any of the files in the user folder.

Downloaded X-ray and it said there are over 20K files in the Users folder with 8 invisible. I guess the folder might have been hidden for some reason, any suggestions on how to copy the files?

P.S. The MacBook is dead, hence I am trying extract the files off the HDD.

feersumendjinn
12-03-2011, 10:38 PM
Use another Mac?

Erayd
12-03-2011, 10:41 PM
Linux has support for HFS/HFS+, so if necessary you could use a Linux system (or a LiveCD) to recover the data.

Geek4414
12-03-2011, 11:03 PM
I am using OSX x86, I can read everything else on the drive, but some how the user folder is showing as empty. Disk Info said there are 172GB of files in the User folder though. Tried Xray and iTweakX, can see all other hidden files but still no luck with the content of the User Folder.

Also tried verify and repair disk, the first run did drag up couple of "lost and found" folders with nothing of interest. Subsequent run shows the disks is working fine.

OSX x86 is working fine, have read other Mac disks and copied out user files successfully before. Might try that on a real Mac on Monday but don't think it would make any difference.

Erayd
13-03-2011, 12:36 AM
Have you tried testdisk?

Deimos
13-03-2011, 02:39 AM
Use terminal to change the permissions on the files - #sudo chmod -R 777

Geek4414
13-03-2011, 01:00 PM
Use terminal to change the permissions on the files - #sudo chmod -R 777

Already tried that too but no luck. I suspect the user profile was encrypted or hidden by some other means. Anyway, the MacBook has gone back to its owner now. Told the guy that if he can plug that drive into another Macbook, he should be able to boot it up and login and retreive his files that way.

P.S. His Macbook is dead as a door nail, don't start, not even any sign of life. Second dead Macbook this month, first one was a MacBook Pro, it made one beep then nothing, nothing on screen, not even any backlight. This one does not even do anything at all when you try to switch it on, charge light does not even lit up when plugged in.

Just received a call from another friend who has a cracked screen on his iphone, must be a bad month for Apple products.