PDA

View Full Version : Laptop battery - 4 cell or 8 cell.

Nomad
12-03-2011, 09:55 AM
Hi, I bought a used Thinkpad, couldn't afford them. The battery needed replacement, I have just used the AC adaptor.

Would you get a 8 or 4 cell? The 8 cell battery sticks out at the back.
Will buy it from abroad given the cost here, also will be getting OEM.

They also have a supplementary battery which you install between the docking base unit and the laptop - 4 cell. Do people actually take docking base unit and run it off battery? Seems rather large.

Thanks.

Agent_24
12-03-2011, 08:04 PM
Only if you want to use the docking base. I've never even used a docking base with or without the battery.

Bigger battery would always be better, last longer of course, but you may not like the size. Up to you if you can put up with extra battery sticking out the back or whatever.

qazwsxokmijn
12-03-2011, 08:32 PM
Upgraded my 4-cell battery on my lappy to an 8-cell. Lasts a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOT longer, but it is almost twice as heavy, larger and sticks out the back.

I don't mind it though, cause I've taken it out to uni during winter when the sun is strong. Studying doesn't get any easier as when you do it while bathing in the winter sun.

Paul.Cov
12-03-2011, 09:11 PM
A very important consideration from my tight perspective - once any single cell dies the battery becomes poked. Having 8 cells doubles the likelihood of early death compared to a 4 cell.

On the other hand though, the added capacity of an 8 cell might mean less stress on the batteries from being overly drained at times (and consequently better battery life)... altho I'm out of date regarding best practice with Lithium batteries. Some types of batteries are better drained - others are better if never drained.

Agent_24
12-03-2011, 11:30 PM
If you think you're up to it you could always have a go at rebuilding the battery pack.

Of course you'd need to get some new cells, which may be difficuilt to source, but the up-side is they are often higher capacity than the originals - also it may work out cheaper.