PDA

View Full Version : Backups across a network

01-10-2001, 10:23 PM
I have used W2000 backup on my laptop to back it up to my home pc which runs W98. A backup file was created successfully but now when I try to restore some files the process proceeds to the point where file transfer starts and then the LAN connection is repeatedly broken and remade and I get an error saying that there is an inconsistancy in the source file. I can't restore using W98 backup softawre and I cant copy the backup file to another place to restore it.
I subsequently tried backing up a small file (600kb)to the home machine and restoring it and works fine. Other file transfers and access either way works well by way of Mapping.

Any ideas???

02-10-2001, 07:41 AM
Eeek. I wonder if there is actually a problem with the file on the disk. Have you tried making a copy of it on the same machine? This would prove that the file is readable. You could also run scandisk to check for any bad blocks. You don't say how big this backup file is, but it sounds like it must be pretty large. If you can copy it locally, then at least the data isn't lost forever. Is there any chance you could cut it onto a CD and try reading it from there on your notebook? Regards, Rob Clarke.