PDA

View Full Version : HP Recovery

wlowscrk
10-03-2011, 04:54 PM
Machine is running XP Home - well trying to. Problem is that it keeps booting to the recovery partition. If I use Ultimate boot disk it shows the HP Recovery partition as C: drive and what should be C: drive is H: or I: or whatever. This only happens from a cold boot because if I do manage to boot into Windows it will continually boot to Windows from the restart option. :help:please

Speedy Gonzales
10-03-2011, 06:10 PM
Recovery partition shouldnt be C, thats usually the boot / windows partition.

wlowscrk
10-03-2011, 06:33 PM
That's what is so strange Speedy. When it sucessfully boots Windows the C drive is the windows boot partition and the recovery is D. But when I turn it off and boot it again it starts the recovery partition and will not boot windows. I push quit and it does the same thing again so I load the ultimate boot disc cd and boot from that and when I look at the drives it shows that the recovery partition is C and the windows boot partition is H or one time it showed as I.

Speedy Gonzales
10-03-2011, 06:57 PM
Hmm try going to control panel / admin tools / computer management / disk management. What does it say for C and D? Under status on the right?

Someone didnt change anything here, did they? Try highlighting C and right mouse / select mark partition as active. Hopefully, it'll still boot

Snorkbox
10-03-2011, 07:06 PM
The Ultimate boot disk will show hidden partitions and Windows won't which is why the difference.

wlowscrk
10-03-2011, 07:19 PM
Yep everything ok in disc management C: is the windows boot and is active but that is only when I can get into windows and then everything is as normal - most of the time when I turn it on it only starts the recovery process. yes Snorkbox I can see all the partitions B: for RAM, X: for UBCD etc but C: should still be C: HP_Pavilion not C: HP_Recovery

Snorkbox
10-03-2011, 08:05 PM
But the drive letter(s) are assigned by the O/S which is not Windows on the Ultimate boot disk is it?