PDA

View Full Version : Removing USB sticks with Win7

Strommer
10-03-2011, 08:27 AM
Before removing a USB memory stick, the proper method is to click on the system tray icon, select "Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media", and wait for the "Safe to Remove" pop up. When I have done this with Win XP, there was a confirmation "pop" sound, the USB stick's light went out, and removal of the stick had no "fault" sound.

With Win7 64 bit on my desktop, and Win7 32 bit on our laptop, doing the above procedure does not cause the USB stick's light to go out and a "fault" sound emits when the stick is removed (although a pop up message does state it is safe to remove). Is this common with Win7?

BTW, this occurs with each of the 4 different types of USB sticks I use.

pcuser42
10-03-2011, 09:14 AM
With Win7 64 bit on my desktop, and Win7 32 bit on our laptop, doing the above procedure does not cause the USB stick's light to go out and a "fault" sound emits when the stick is removed (although a pop up message does state it is safe to remove). Is this common with Win7?

That's the normal process: the "pop" sound you hear in Windows XP is simply the sound for balloon notifications (which Windows 7 doesn't seem to play by default). It's not a "fault" sound (two low pitched dings), but merely a "hardware disconnected" sound (high then low pitched dings).

TLDR: yes. :D

Strommer
10-03-2011, 09:40 AM
Well, I still wonder why the lights in the USB sticks do not go out.

inphinity
10-03-2011, 10:16 AM
Just because the drive is dismounted, doesn't mean the USB port stops supplying power ;)

snoopy
10-03-2011, 05:27 PM
How to Optimize Your Flash Drive for Quick and Safe Removal

http://www.ehow.com/how_4698350_flash-drive-quick-safe-removal.html

This is applies for XP, Win 7 Quick Removal is default

Speedy Gonzales
10-03-2011, 05:40 PM
Thats by design in Vista and Win7. If its got a LED on it, it doesnt turn off, when you eject. Try selecting safely remove after right mousing on it. In computer / my computer

Strommer
11-03-2011, 05:52 AM
Thanks for the comments. Snoopy - that is an interesting article although it does infer that 'improper removal' may go "pear shaped" with certain brands of USB sticks.

I never knew this was there:
http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/PF1_remove_USB_stick.jpg

... I selected "Better Perfomance" to see what difference it will make.

It's not a "fault" sound (two low pitched dings), but merely a "hardware disconnected" sound (high then low pitched dings).

I changed the default Win7 sounds to Sonata and consequently misinterpreted the sound, but after checking it is indeed the "hardware disconnected" sound rather than "critical stop".