PDA

View Full Version : Desktop Boot Problems

Avaya
09-03-2011, 08:05 PM
Hey all -

I'm really stumped at the moment and am hoping someone could help me out.

I've got the following (or very close to it)

Intel Core2 Duo 2.33 or 2.66 (can't remember)
Asus P5K Premium Wifi-Ap
G Skill 2 x 4GB ram (4-4-4-something)
Asus 8800 Ultra
Seagate 500GB SATA hard drive
Windows 7 Ultimate

Nothing hard about the hardware, built it myself and have had it for about 3 or 4 years now.

When I booted up the computer a couple of days ago (and nothing odd had happened to it that I know of) the first screen which is the Ai Asus logo page for the BIOS loading screen had all these lines over it and the image was slightly distorted. It went to the next black / blank screen were the little line blinks for about 5 seconds in the top left hand corner but there were random characters all over the screen. It then went to the Windows 7 loading screen and there are blue lines all over this as well (vertical, none across), then when it gets to the end of the windows loading screen, it blue / purple screens but it comes and goes so quickly I can't read what it says and then starts the process over again.

The only thing different is after the first boot and before windows tried to load it notices that the previous windows load didn't work and that it would like to try to fix the issues. The self checker can't find anything wrong with the hardware nor does doing a system restore work (which I knew it wouldn't).

So because the screen is weird straight from the BIOS loading screen I know something is up and it's nothing to do with Windows settings or anything to that effect. So far I have removed all the hardware and blew any dust out. I have taken the motherboard battery out (but only for about 5 minutes) without the power being attached and replaced and nothing has worked.

Anyone want to enlighten me as to a fix for this? I'm really hoping now to have to buy any hardware if possible.

Cheers in advance!!

fred_fish
09-03-2011, 08:18 PM
Looks like video card.
Do you have another to replace it with?
Builtin on the mobo?

Avaya
09-03-2011, 08:21 PM
No, Asus 8800 Ultra (it's a nVidia PCI-E card). I thought so too but I didn't think the card had much to do at the BIOS screen, meaning it could be something else?

icow
09-03-2011, 08:44 PM
No, Asus 8800 Ultra (it's a nVidia PCI-E card). I thought so too but I didn't think the card had much to do at the BIOS screen, meaning it could be something else?

Take it out see if you still get the same problem. That's the easiest way to check.

Avaya
09-03-2011, 09:20 PM
Can I do that without another card?

Speedy Gonzales
09-03-2011, 09:31 PM
You could try but you wont see anything

fred_fish
09-03-2011, 11:17 PM
No, Asus 8800 Ultra (it's a nVidia PCI-E card). I thought so too but I didn't think the card had much to do at the BIOS screen
It's not doing much, but it is still the thing that is displaying the shoddy video.

I meant do you have one "builtin on the mb"? (to be the replacement when you pull the PCI-E one)
Most boards will just beep at you and not boot if they have no video device available.

pctek
10-03-2011, 07:19 AM
Graphics card for sure.