PDA

View Full Version : Computer beeping, problem

ianhnz
09-03-2011, 05:40 PM
Hi all. Just been give a computer. Sorry don't know all the stats, at the moment, but when I connect it up and turn on gives a long beep, repeated and there is nothing on screen and no lights on keyboard.
I'm thinking it's the video card, Right?:thanks

Speedy Gonzales
09-03-2011, 05:53 PM
Could be the videocard, or ram. Make sure both are in properly. Is the 4 pin 12 ATX connector in (if its got one)?

ianhnz
09-03-2011, 06:08 PM
Could be the videocard, or ram. Make sure both are in properly. Is the 4 pin 12 ATX connector in (if its got one)?

Thanks Speedy. I have a look at that, in the morning. Sorry I'm still.... Anyway all I know. about it, friend had it made up by PB technology, in Auckland years ago. On case it just says SN no So 077908SI (i). Not much help. He moved to Wellington, so may be a while before I can ask him, as his mum brought it around, for me. Get back when I've had another poke inside, :thanks Ian
PS. Um What's a 4 pin 12 ATX connector in?

Speedy Gonzales
09-03-2011, 06:27 PM
The ATX 12v connector HAS to be connected to the mobo on some systems. Otherwise the system wont turn on at all. Its probably the ram or videocard. If it beeps

Change one or the other. Whats the brand / model of this computer? If you were in Auckland, I could have checked it out. If its full of dust, open the case, and clean it out

ianhnz
09-03-2011, 06:58 PM
The ATX 12v connector HAS to be connected to the mobo on some systems. Otherwise the system wont turn on at all. Its probably the ram or videocard. If it beeps

Change one or the other. Whats the brand / model of this computer? If you were in Auckland, I could have checked it out. If its full of dust, open the case, and clean it out
Brand? Just has their own sticker, on it, as it was made up from scratch.Nah, in Papamoa. I give her a clean out, tomorrow. I checked all the plus, etc, this morning and everything seemed in place. Has a add on video card and the standard motherboard one, not there.

Speedy Gonzales
09-03-2011, 07:00 PM
When you open the case tomorrow, look on the motherboard, the model will be etched on it in the middle somewhere. If theres more than 1 stick of ram in it, remove one. See if it boots. If it doesnt remove the other then try again

ianhnz
10-03-2011, 10:12 AM
When you open the case tomorrow, look on the motherboard, the model will be etched on it in the middle somewhere. If theres more than 1 stick of ram in it, remove one. See if it boots. If it doesnt remove the other then try again
Morning all. This morning I did open up da case. Gave her a good clean out cough cough. Removed cleaned and replace video card, checked connection and power lead and good. Removed and cleaned the one ram chip. Took a deep breath...... and turned it on. Beep beep beep. So I removed three 256 chips from another computer, removed the 512 and reinstalled the other three. Same thing. Put it back the way it was and closed it up. I have a friend whose a computer repairer, but don't like to hassle him, but he said to take it in for him to look at. Last night wife was saying the the other guy, whom owned the computer, was having problems with it and why he replaced it. Dah... Let you know if, or when, it comes back from the computer hospital.. Oh and speedy, sorry, did even think about look for the motherboard label. :thanks, again, Ian