PDA

View Full Version : Win XP & MacBook

bk T
08-03-2011, 11:36 PM
I've got a MacBook with XP Home installed but it's badly infected with malwware and nasties. How do I reinstall Win XP Home?

Can I just put in the XP install CD and run the installation?

feersumendjinn
09-03-2011, 12:40 AM
Give it a try.
Go into the BIOS (I assume macs have those :)), and set boot order to CD drive first, first.
You'll also need the COA key code (use Magical Jellybean Keyfinder to recover that from the original install).
http://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder/

bk T
09-03-2011, 09:11 AM
Give it a try.
Go into the BIOS (I assume macs have those :)), and set boot order to CD drive first, first.
You'll also need the COA key code (use Magical Jellybean Keyfinder to recover that from the original install).
http://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder/

1. How to get into BIOS?
2. I've got the CD Key, no problem
3. Googled, that I have to used Boot Camp Assistant to burn the drivers before starting installing from Boot camp
4. Pressed 'Option' while turning ON and loaded Mac OS, found Boot camp on the desktop but couldn't find the Boot Camp assistant
5. Where to look for the boot camp assistant?

Please be a little patient with me as I'm pretty new to Mac.

Safari
09-03-2011, 09:25 AM
located in /Applications/Utilities

http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/boot_camp_install-setup.pdf

lakewoodlady
09-03-2011, 09:27 AM
Hi BK T,
You should be able to find Boot Camp Assistant in your Applications > Utilities. However, instead of trying to reinstall Win XP, why don't you just boot into Windows and run your anti-virus, Malwarebytes, Ccleaner etc? Or is it so stuffed up that a reinstall is better?

LL

bk T
09-03-2011, 09:32 AM
Hi BK T,
You should be able to find Boot Camp Assistant in your Applications > Utilities. However, instead of trying to reinstall Win XP, why don't you just boot into Windows and run your anti-virus, Malwarebytes, Ccleaner etc? Or is it so stuffed up that a reinstall is better?

LL

It's so bad that I'm unable to load XP successfully.

Found the Bootcamp assistant, there isn't and utility to burn the drivers for Windows. How do I go about to get it done?

lakewoodlady
09-03-2011, 09:39 AM
Boot camp Assistant should give you an option of uninstalling Win XP first which will clear the partition, and then reboot into Mac, open Bootcamp Assist and follow the directions. It will tell you when to load the Win OS.

This is just from memory, as I did it myself about three years ago.

LL

bk T
09-03-2011, 09:47 AM
Boot camp Assistant should give you an option of uninstalling Win XP first which will clear the partition, and then reboot into Mac, open Bootcamp Assist and follow the directions. It will tell you when to load the Win OS.

LL

Launched Boot Camp Assistant clicked Next, it says that the disk cannot be partitioned or restored to a single partition and stop there.

According to this site (http://www.itechmax.com/2008/07/15/how-to-install-windows-xp-on-macbook-or-mac-using-boot-camp/) , I should burn the drivers for Windows first before proceeding, but there isn't any function to burn the drivers.

Safari
09-03-2011, 10:05 AM
The drivers are on the Mac OS X install disc
Have you looked at the link that I gave you.

icow
09-03-2011, 10:25 AM
I've got a MacBook with XP Home installed but it's badly infected with malwware and nasties. How do I reinstall Win XP Home?

Yes.

Originally Posted by lakewoodlady View Post

LL

If you want to do it that way just goto disk utility and reformat the partition as any format, then format it correctly using the tool on the xp setup menu.

I NEVER format fat32 with a mac 'cause it never does it right.

bk T
09-03-2011, 10:30 AM
The drivers are on the Mac OS X install disc
Have you looked at the link that I gave you.

Thanks for the link it's similar to the instructions from Boot Camp which says that the drivers are in the mac Os CD but unfortunately, the CD has been misplaced.

Safari
09-03-2011, 10:40 AM
If you can run XP the drivers must be installed already.

icow
09-03-2011, 10:43 AM
If you can run XP the drivers must be installed already.

No not necessarily. It doesn't need the drivers to start. It's like when you buy a new gfx card. You can still see the display but you couldn't run high powered games without installing drivers.
http://support.apple.com/downloads/#bootcamp check here if you don't have the disk.

ronyville
09-03-2011, 10:53 AM

If you just want to reinstall XP, than just pop in the xp cd and restart, hold down the "C" key as it restarts and the Mac should boot off the cd as you would normally do on a PC. Not sure about how you would save the drivers though.

icow
09-03-2011, 11:07 AM
If you just want to reinstall XP, than just pop in the xp cd and restart, hold down the "C" key as it restarts and the Mac should boot off the cd as you would normally do on a PC. Not sure about how you would save the drivers though.

You wouldn't be able to save drivers unless you repaired windows but even then it probably wouldn't save them. If BK T didn't have the osx disk chances are the drivers are wrong anyway. Get them from the link above. (my post).

bk T
09-03-2011, 11:33 AM
You wouldn't be able to save drivers unless you repaired windows but even then it probably wouldn't save them. If BK T didn't have the osx disk chances are the drivers are wrong anyway. Get them from the link above. (my post).

OK. just found the OS disks. :)

Will proceed to the installation.

Thanks folks.

bk T
09-03-2011, 11:50 AM
Just finished installing Windows.

But, how do I eject (remove) my Windows CD?

Safari
09-03-2011, 12:01 PM
Can you click Start/My Computer, then select your CD, and click on Eject this disk.

Agent_24
09-03-2011, 12:08 PM

They don't. If you want to boot from CD you hold down Control+Option+C or something at startup.

Or at least you do for mine, which is an ancient PowerPC 6100 from 1995 :D

bk T
09-03-2011, 01:50 PM
Completed installing and updated Windows.

All drivers seems to be installed but there's no sound output.

Is there any switch to turn ON/OFF the speakers. Checked configuration seems to be all OK but no sound output.

icow
09-03-2011, 01:57 PM
Completed installing and updated Windows.

All drivers seems to be installed but there's no sound output.

Is there any switch to turn ON/OFF the speakers. Checked configuration seems to be all OK but no sound output.

Did you actually install the drivers or does everything (minus sound) just work? You need to install the drivers properly.

Also no sound on Macbooks (normally) = dead logic board = lots of $ to fix.

bk T
09-03-2011, 01:59 PM
Did you actually install the drivers or does everything (minus sound) just work? You need to install the drivers properly.

Also no sound on Macbooks (normally) = dead logic board = lots of $ to fix.

All drivers were properly installed.

nedkelly
09-03-2011, 02:03 PM
there is a mute button on the keyboard next to the volume controls.

icow
09-03-2011, 03:20 PM
All drivers were properly installed.

does the sound work when headphones are plugged in?

Agent_24
09-03-2011, 03:22 PM
Where did the drivers come from?

bk T
09-03-2011, 03:45 PM
there is a mute button on the keyboard next to the volume controls.
No response

does the sound work when headphones are plugged in?
No. all don't work

Where did the drivers come from?
From the original Mac OS disk

bk T
09-03-2011, 03:46 PM
Reinstalling Mac OS X and see how it goes.

nedkelly
09-03-2011, 04:01 PM
check device manager to see if it is installed properly.

icow
09-03-2011, 05:12 PM
check device manager to see if it is installed properly.

+1

Agent_24
09-03-2011, 05:21 PM
Reinstalling Mac OS X and see how it goes.

You could probably just use a Live Ubuntu CD to test it....

David_Small
27-03-2011, 01:13 PM
I also have a problem with Macbook sound. My computer thinks there are headphones plugged in so will not produce any sound. There is a little red light inside the headphones socket. I can still get sound through headphones but most of the time want to operate without them. Can't find any solution in System Preferences / Sound. Anyone know how I can sort this out?

feersumendjinn
27-03-2011, 01:51 PM
I also have a problem with Macbook sound. My computer thinks there are headphones plugged in so will not produce any sound. There is a little red light inside the headphones socket. I can still get sound through headphones but most of the time want to operate without them. Can't find any solution in System Preferences / Sound. Anyone know how I can sort this out?
Is better to start your own thread.

I would assume that the headphone socket is a normal 3.5 mm diameter one, there is normally a switch built into the socket to turn off the external speakers and sense the socket is being used (looks like this http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/af/Jack-plug--socket-switch.jpg/200px-Jack-plug--socket-switch.jpg), you may have dirt/corrosion in that switch or it may be bent, maybe try blowing it through with compressed air. Might need professional disassembly/repair unless you want to do it yourself (though I think Apple tend to use special screws to hold their stuff together :groan:).

David_Small
27-03-2011, 04:13 PM
Thanks very much. A wee fiddle in the headphones hole did the trick.