PDA

View Full Version : Restoring/recovering a .psd? or extracting information

The Error Guy
08-03-2011, 07:25 PM
Somehow, I don't know exactly but somehow I managed to save my Art Design work in PS (looking normal) then, when I opened it later all I got was a black background layer (in the locked state) that was all.

The file was saved as a .psd too. Then only thing I remember doing was saving my work then closing PS, as I did so another dialog popped up asking to save the document again (I pressed yes to that) I'm guessing I saved over my work with a flattened all black version of the document but I don't get how the image got flattened AND black.

Looking at the .psd document I noticed it was 78mb in size (pretty big for an A4 black .psd) a save as reveals that the document size is now 433ish kb in size so i'm hoping that some of the origional image information must still be in the .psd for it to be so large, if so is there a way to "recover" it. I have no backups of it either so if this fails its start from scratch!!

Cheers and TIA, don't really want to be doing the contents of the document again :p

The Error Guy
08-03-2011, 08:09 PM
Interestingly it has retained ruler positions etc.

There must be a way to read the RAW output from a psd, I just can't find it

fred_fish
08-03-2011, 08:31 PM
No layers?
Tried opening in another prog (e.g GIMP)?

The Error Guy
09-03-2011, 07:42 AM
not yet, tried some PS recovery programs though, they just show black BG layer. Interestingly the thumbnail preview in the photoshop open dialog shows the picture correctly, as it was when I finished and saved it. According to some other posts on the internet the exact same thing happened to some other bloke.

I'll try GIMP and if that fails, email Adobe

The Error Guy
09-03-2011, 08:03 AM
Opened in GIMP, same result. Preview shows Correct image whilst on open a black layer is displayed (see screenshots)