PDA

View Full Version : Barcode scanner for events?

dpDesignz
08-03-2011, 02:16 PM
I am wanting to take a barcode scanner to an event we are having. I am wanting to send the attendees a ticket with a barcode on it that I just scan and they can get in. Basically all I want it to do is scan and pop up with the persons details with the option to say they have attended the event. Does anyone know a program that will do this? Preferably a free one or one with a trial?

Sorry not sure If I should post this here or in the chat forum/

Thanks in advance

Jen
08-03-2011, 05:35 PM
Are you entering all the attendee's into a database? What information are you encoding in the barcode?

dpDesignz
08-03-2011, 05:44 PM
Excel, but if their is a program I will use that. Just numbers into the barcode, but if I can embed the full info that would be great too.

Jen
08-03-2011, 05:57 PM
Never tried it, but have a look at this: MS Office - Attendence tracking with use of a barcode scanner (http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/templates/attendence-tracking-with-use-of-a-barcode-scanner-TC030004747.aspx). You probably will be able to customise it to suit your needs.

DeSade
08-03-2011, 06:35 PM
Isn't that just a template, don't you need something that will generate the bar-codes from the data first and foremost?

Morgenmuffel
08-03-2011, 06:47 PM
In Februarys PCWorld, Geoff talked about QR codes, in which you can encode a pile of info, which can then be read back if you have a qr scanner, which apparently you can do with a number of modern phones

Morgenmuffel
08-03-2011, 07:05 PM
Should add, some barcode scanners can read QR codes, to have a look and write a QRcode go here

qrstuff.com

see the one attached if you want to see what they look like

Jen
08-03-2011, 07:09 PM
Isn't that just a template, don't you need something that will generate the bar-codes from the data first and foremost?You are right. I interpreted the OPs question as already having printed the barcodes. :waughh:

You will need to make sure the barcode scanner will read the barcode coding style/font that you use. Style code 39 (3 of 9) is pretty common.

How to Create a Bar Code on Excel for Free (http://www.ehow.com/how_5743984_create-bar-code-excel.html)

dpDesignz
08-03-2011, 07:36 PM
I have the barcodes printed and I have the scanner. Standard scanner from our shop.

bot
08-03-2011, 08:02 PM
BTW, is there software that can scan QR codes with a webcam and say some info?
This is for storage and I have determined that QR codes are most economical as I already have a webcam and I have already printed out codes for them.

What would happen is I would scan it and it would come up on the computer screen the item name