PDA

View Full Version : Linux/Ubuntu wireless connection

John RYDER
08-03-2011, 11:54 AM
I have installed Ubuntu 10.10 on a new HP G66 laptop and cannot get wireless internet connection via my Thompson TG585 v7 router (supplied be Xtra)
Wired connection to this router works fine, but the drop-down from the network icon says "wireless is disabled "
How do I configure my laptop (or my router) so that the wireless network functions? Other laptops and iPhones connect easily once the password is entered, but the Linux menu if full of acronyms that are beyond me.
Many thanks in anticipation of an understandable solution.

Chilling_Silence
08-03-2011, 11:59 AM
Hi John,

Welcome to PressF1!
What kind of wireless card is in the laptop?
Or, can you provide us with the full model number of your HP laptop? It looks like it's just missing the drivers, so you could go into the Software Manager and tell it to use Proprietary Drivers (While connected through the cable) and see if that helps.

Cheers

Chill.

John RYDER
08-03-2011, 01:41 PM
Thanks for the prompt reply. I checked the Administation/Additional Drivers and it only found ATI graphics drivers, which were downloaded.
The laptop is an HP G62 Notebook PC. I do not have the manual or an alternative (ie Widows 7) OS.
System/Administation/System Monitor/NetworkTest gives RaLink RT3090 Wireless 802.11n 1/1R PCle, Realtek Semiconductor Co Ltd. RTL810E/RTL8102E PCI & Express Fast Ethernet controller (rev 02)
(Still no wireless)
Where to next?

Chilling_Silence
08-03-2011, 02:03 PM
First link has the solution ;)
http://tinyurl.com/46lzq54

John RYDER
08-03-2011, 02:49 PM
Can you please be more specific about a solution for my problem - there seem to be several solutions listed in your reference. Thanks again
ps. I'm not quite a luddite but the solution needs to be spelled out unambiguously and in detail to me.

Chilling_Silence
08-03-2011, 02:57 PM
Try Post #6