PDA

View Full Version : Taupo Line Speed test..

bazmeister
07-03-2011, 09:37 AM
Trying to help out my son in Taupo who's PC is running at hopeless speeds online....his kids can't do their homework it's so slow..etc. The PC is about 4 years old, a middle of the range AMD Athlon.

A while back he had a tech look at it who basically found no problems. I have had about three goes at it while visiting but haven't been able to spend a lot of time on it for him. There is not a lot of "stuff" on this machine, no music, no pictures, minimal programs. I removed Nortons etc for him and he has run MSSE for about 6 months, no issues and no virus reports. I have put the usuals mentioned on this site thru it looking for adaware, spybot etc and have defragged everything. I am as confident as you can be that there are no virus type issues.

This morning I got him to run s line speed test. He advises that it routed him thru Tauranga and recorded 1.74 download and .07 upload. Considering my gear runs ok at 6.50 (approx) this seems far too low...?

Outside his address, and within 5 metres, are major power lines, big heavy stuff. Could this be an issue...?

How should I tell him to proceed next if this linespeed suggests a problem..?

Any help appreciated.

inphinity
07-03-2011, 10:22 AM
While 1.74mbps down / 0.07mbps up is certainly not fast, it should be plenty for most standard internet use. Typical causes for low speeds are noisy / poor quality lines, but can also be due to general network congestion. It would be interesting to see what linespeeds the router is reporting, but these line speeds (presuming they are in mbps) should be fast enough for general browsing / email use, although not enough to, say, stream video smoothly. Some ISP still do, and many did until recently, offer low-end plans that are capped at 2.0mbps down / 0.128mbps (128k) up.

Bear in mind dialup is about equivalent to 0.05 down / 0.03 up.

bazmeister
07-03-2011, 11:00 AM
Thanks for that, it gives me a reference point at least as to what is needed for general surfing.

Can the ISP's (Telecom in this case) check the line on request...?

bazmeister
07-03-2011, 11:03 AM
Thanks for that, it gives me an indication as to what is required for general surfing at least.

Can the ISP's (Telecom in this case) check the line on request..?

Chilling_Silence
07-03-2011, 11:33 AM
Three things:
1) What kind of router make / model do they have?
2) What speed does the Status page of the router say it's sync'ing with the exchange
3) Does it say that ADSL2+ is available here: http://www.telecomwholesale.co.nz/maps

bazmeister
07-03-2011, 11:59 AM
Thanks for that......

(1) will have to check that later tonight
(2) How do we access this...?
(3) Looks like the area is ADSL2,

Will keep working on it.

Chilling_Silence
07-03-2011, 12:30 PM
Usually if you open your browser and go to either:
http://192.168.1.1
http://192.168.1.254
http://10.0.0.1
http://10.1.1.1

It'll most probably be one of those that'll get you to your router. If I knew your make / model I could probably tell you which of the four, but just try them all until you find one ;)

pctek
07-03-2011, 12:49 PM
PC is running at hopeless speeds online....his kids can't do their homework it's so slow..etc.

They can't what specifically?
I had slower broadband than that before I moved. Not much use for downloading actual games and stuff but general browsing, no problem.

And whats so slow? The internet only or the PC in general.

Or are the kids doing stuff other than homework (cause they all say that), and speed isn't good enough for the non-homework activities.

lakewoodlady
07-03-2011, 03:56 PM
Thanks for that......

(1) will have to check that later tonight
(2) How do we access this...?
(3) Looks like the area is ADSL2,

Will keep working on it.

Hi Bazmeister,
I am in Taupo, and in ADSL2 area in Nukuhau. Here is my line test from speedtest.net http://www.speedtest.net/result/1187868681.png

Which area is your son in and can I be of help?

LL

bazmeister
07-03-2011, 05:05 PM
Hi Bazmeister,

Which area is your son in and can I be of help?

LL

Thanks for the kind offer. I have sent you a PM....cheers

Chilling_Silence
07-03-2011, 11:39 PM
Did you get those details?

:pf1mobmini:

lakewoodlady
08-03-2011, 08:35 AM
Did you get those details?

:pf1mobmini:

Was that for bazmeister or me?

It turns out that the son with the speed problem has only 194 MB RAM installed and a fairly slow cpu (1.36 Ghz). I talked to him and asked him to run Ccleaner, but it needed an update and was going to take a very long time, so got him to delete temp files, history etc. manually. I don't think that getting more RAM in the machine would be of great advantage. Also,that having such little RAM could possibly be affecting the line speed on his D-Link.
So, the upshot is that he will be looking at getting a new machine sometime.

Cheers, LL

inphinity
08-03-2011, 09:04 AM
RAM in the PC won't affect the line speed of the router. But that sounds like a very old, rubbish machine, and probably wouldn't even do any better if it was using a gigabit fibre connection ;)

Chilling_Silence
08-03-2011, 09:26 AM
Was that for bazmeister or me?

Yeah bazmeister was going to get the router make / model and details from the ADSL status page of the sync speeds / SNR etc

lakewoodlady
08-03-2011, 09:31 AM
RAM in the PC won't affect the line speed of the router. But that sounds like a very old, rubbish machine, and probably wouldn't even do any better if it was using a gigabit fibre connection ;)

Yes, I did wonder if the lack of RAM would affect the line speed, so now I know that it probably doesn't, thanks Inphinity. Still, it is a very slow computer and even if he had a good line speed, the machine would still be slow. The D-Link is about 4 or 5 years old too.

LL

bazmeister
08-03-2011, 09:35 AM
Thanks folks for the input - I think LL has hit the problem on the head. The set-up was bought as a business one basically to run Word and not a lot else, I quess time has passed it by and it's time for a replacement.

As a matter of interest Chill, he has a ADSL2 modem (DSL-502T) but I don't think there's much point in delving further into that now..

thanks again - great service, especially LL for donating her time. Cheers

Chilling_Silence
08-03-2011, 11:08 AM
Those DSL-502T's are mediocre at the best of times. You'd be surprised what replacing it might accomplish. Don't get an el-cheapo freebie from your ISP either.

bazmeister
08-03-2011, 01:46 PM
Those DSL-502T's are mediocre at the best of times. You'd be surprised what replacing it might accomplish. Don't get an el-cheapo freebie from your ISP either.

That's very interesting - it's the same model I'm running...

Can you point us in the direction of something more appropriate...?

Chilling_Silence
08-03-2011, 02:02 PM
http://www.c2s.co.nz/blog/?p=84

NetComm NB6Plus4Wn

Sack
04-04-2011, 09:08 AM
I live in Taupo also (in Waipahihi suburb) and I get obout 15mbs up and 0.7mbs down right now at 8am on a Monday.... http://www.speedtest.net/result/1234748255.png

I doubt it's the PC, and in town you should get a decent speed.... your speed is a little slower than Farmside satellite which is rubbish :p

First thing I would do from here is try another adsl modem/router. Also, if the router is old, the power adapters do degrade over time... not sure if it would slow it down, but usually they just just make the connection unstable until it dies all-together because it can't deliver the juice to the router.

Also, check network cables, and if you're wirelessly connected, make sure your wireless connection to the modem is at least 54mbps and is hasn't dropped down to 11 or 1mbps which is common when wireless range is strethced or dodgy hardware :p

bot
04-04-2011, 06:38 PM

Yeah. Our one had a strange problem - when the power failed, it reset itself. Yesterday we had a brownout (quite frequent btw) and the modem turned off. Had to import config file i kept :)