PDA

View Full Version : NZ PCWorld pans ESET Smart Security 4

symiggy
06-03-2011, 09:39 AM
I'm wondering what the members of this Forum think about the recent review article that appeared in NZ PC World magazine regarding ESET Smart Security 4.

I have personally used ESET without problem for several years now, having been initially introduced to it largely due to the enthusiastic recommendations form many members of this forum.

While I have no reason to criticize the software from my own personal experience, I was somewhat surprised (and disappointed) at the poor rating it received in the March issue of the magazine.

Specifically ESET was rated second to last and the reviewer made the point that he could not recommend it at all. :yuck:

Snorkbox
06-03-2011, 09:43 AM
Have read of this thread:-

http://www.pressf1.co.nz/showthread.php?t=116458

gary67
06-03-2011, 09:43 AM
Dang beaten again

SolMiester
06-03-2011, 09:47 AM
Not sure about the internet security package, however we use the A/V in an enterprise environment, and in 2 yrs have yet to get hit by a virus!

wainuitech
06-03-2011, 10:13 AM
Not getting hit or affected by a virus doesn't really mean a lot.
Any good AV, no matter what it is will stop infections, either in emails, drive by downloads, or from other sources.

Nod32 is often stopping infections from coming in. So its doing its job.Any other AV as long as it does the same is then also working. Its the ones that let the bugs through that are a fail.:)
Often We see computers riddled with Malware and have other AV's installed ( Norton included) . Nod is not perfect, but the rating its given is wrong in the real world. Customers PC the other day, had to use Nod to clean out the PC as Norton was totally munted by the infections.

wainuitech
06-03-2011, 10:30 AM
I also read the enterprise version esp if using SEP uses a different scan engine than the Home version as well - so it may work better.

pctek
06-03-2011, 11:04 AM
I'm wondering what the members of this Forum think about the recent review article that appeared in NZ PC World magazine regarding ESET Smart Security 4.

I never read them. They're full of ****.
Real world testing is what counts, I always used to that when cleaning infected machines to test new AVs and new versions.
Now Wainuitech has been the tester and my opinion of NOD remains the same.

I'm sure the mag guys either make it up or get bribed.

mikebartnz
06-03-2011, 11:12 AM
II'm sure the mag guys either make it up or get bribed.
I'm sure a lot has to do with the mighty advertising dollar and it is one reason I can't be bothered with computer magazines now.

WarNox
06-03-2011, 11:25 AM
We used to use nod32 anti-virus for all our clients machines and servers. It is easy to install and change settings but it just crashed the servers too much.

Caused so many bsod's and who remembers when they released update 5418 which meant the servers had to be restarted at least once, but most twice, not a cool thing to come to on a Friday morning.

September 2, 2010

An issue with virus signature database update 5418, released on September 2, 2010 at 6:00 AM PST, may cause an error the "ekrn.exe" service. Other reported issues include ekrn crashing, systems not responding and threat notifications with blank name fields. This issue can be resolved by restarting the computer.

wainuitech
06-03-2011, 11:37 AM
Norton does the same - in fact when it corrupts it will actually stop the PC from booting at all.
Not all patches can be fully tested, if they were then we would get nothing.

If you were getting BSOD's from Nod then you either had other problems or the wrong version on the servers (there are different versions)

Never once had a BSOD caused by Nod32 in the 10 years I been using it.

Re the patch 5418 -- you forgot to mention Eset had it fixed within 10 minutes of putting out. Mine updated to 5419 within that time.

inphinity
06-03-2011, 05:11 PM
This sort of rubbish is why I gave up actually buying PC World long ago. It does not, in my opinion, provide accurate, reliable, or unbiased information and reviews and hasn't for quite some time.

paulw
06-03-2011, 07:25 PM
I've been using Nod32 at home for years and we started to use it at work about two years ago with no problems. However PC World is not the first publication to downgrade it mainly because it's firewalll is not too great.. I think that part needs some work done to it..

chiefnz
06-03-2011, 07:57 PM
I never read them. They're full of ****.
Real world testing is what counts, I always used to that when cleaning infected machines to test new AVs and new versions.
Now Wainuitech has been the tester and my opinion of NOD remains the same.

I'm sure the mag guys either make it up or get bribed.

Definitely agree here... I have worked with multiple iterations of Norton's security products over the years the were $hite then and they are $hite now. The only exception is SEP which is an enterprise grade product and works quite well.

As for ESET being inferior than 8 of the AV suites tested let alone Norton I personally think the mag boys were smoking some serious drugs.

I have used ESET for nearly 4 years now and that combined with responsible PC use it had never let me down.

I thing PC World got it hopelessly wrong.

Thanks,

SolMiester
07-03-2011, 12:34 PM
Not getting hit or affected by a virus doesn't really mean a lot.
Any good AV, no matter what it is will stop infections, either in emails, drive by downloads, or from other sources.

Nod32 is often stopping infections from coming in. So its doing its job.Any other AV as long as it does the same is then also working. Its the ones that let the bugs through that are a fail.:)
Often We see computers riddled with Malware and have other AV's installed ( Norton included) . Nod is not perfect, but the rating its given is wrong in the real world. Customers PC the other day, had to use Nod to clean out the PC as Norton was totally munted by the infections.

Another way of saying what I just said?, if we arent getting hit, then its working!!Of course the ones that let bugs in fail!
We probably have a lot of help via Postini which stops most spam\virus\Trojans anyway before they get to our exchange servers!

SolMiester
07-03-2011, 12:37 PM
Definitely agree here... I have worked with multiple iterations of Norton's security products over the years the were $hite then and they are $hite now. The only exception is SEP which is an enterprise grade product and works quite well.

As for ESET being inferior than 8 of the AV suites tested let alone Norton I personally think the mag boys were smoking some serious drugs.

I have used ESET for nearly 4 years now and that combined with responsible PC use it had never let me down.

I thing PC World got it hopelessly wrong.

Thanks,

LOL, the editor has just advised in the chat room thread that ads dont influence the results, however they dont do the tests anyway....So i guess the guys doing the tests overseas are under the influence!

Gobe1
07-03-2011, 01:08 PM
Not sure about the internet security package, however we use the A/V in an enterprise environment, and in 2 yrs have yet to get hit by a virus!

We did and got blacklisted, still recommend it tho

And have had BSOD on 1 x 64 bit XP when i first started using Nod. Had to format it to fix it so there must have been something on the machine it didnt like