PDA

View Full Version : Linux decision

QW.
04-03-2011, 11:41 PM
I have decided to get rid of Windows XP due to it not being support.

So my question is, what version of linux would be good to get?

goodiesguy
05-03-2011, 12:07 AM
Ubuntu seems to be the one to go for at the moment. Many people recommend it.

Netsukeninja
05-03-2011, 12:15 AM
Linux Mint is a great one for beginners, it is based on Ubuntu so should have Ubuntu's support and stability. http://linuxmint.com

Agent_24
05-03-2011, 01:02 AM
If you have a fast machine, Ubuntu or a derivative would be good.

If you have something slow, you may find something else like Puppy will work a lot better - the LXDE version of Ubuntu - Lubuntu is also a good choice for older systems.

waldok
05-03-2011, 09:02 AM
I have decided to get rid of Windows XP due to it not being support.

Just to be sure you're aware, Windows XP SP3 will be in extended support until 8 April 2014. That means it will still get security pathes, just not the shiny new things like Internet Explorer 9.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/products/lifecycle

cheers
W

Cato
05-03-2011, 09:49 AM
Get a live CD of both Ubuntu and OpenSuse KDE, try them and see which you prefer.

I can't see Ubuntu being a long term solution though, with Unity becoming default DE next month (11.04).

Chilling_Silence
05-03-2011, 10:06 AM
Yeah Mint isn't bad, it's based off Ubuntu which I'd otherwise recommend. Being Linux, it's not costing you to buy them, so just download and try a couple, go nuts :D

Agent_24
05-03-2011, 11:48 AM
Just to be sure you're aware, Windows XP SP3 will be in extended support until 8 April 2014. That means it will still get security pathes, just not the shiny new things like Internet Explorer 9.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/products/lifecycle

cheers
W

Long Live XP!!!! :D

kjaada
05-03-2011, 12:00 PM
I have been a linux user for many years and I see posts saying :this or that is the one but I have tried most and it is just a wee bit difficult to move from MS to linux and there really is not one that is easier than others.
It is a whole new learning curve.
The best move is to try a live CD of maybe Ubuntu or Puppy.
Allready I hear you saying "what is a live CD'?
A live Cd is an os on a cd that you boot from and nothing stays on yr puter unless you decide
"this is for me" then you install it.

johnd
05-03-2011, 01:48 PM
Which distribution you use does not matter a heap unless you are an enthusiast - just like which car you drive does not matter unless you are an enthusiast!!

I have used Redhat, Fedora, Mandriva, SuSE, PCLinux and now Ubuntu. Ubuntu is good - but there is not much difference between it and the rest of the distributions. Try some live CDs and see what you think!

kjaada
05-03-2011, 02:20 PM
Another thing that will make the move almost seamless is to use Firefox as yr browser and Thunderbird as yr email in MS for a while before you move.
If you set them up with a few addons in Firefox and have yr address book on a CD
It is possible within a very short time of changing to have all yr bookmarks and yr email contacts working then settle in to learning about linux from there.

Agent_24
05-03-2011, 03:34 PM
You know, it's not that hard to write "your" and it is easier for other people to read :)

Rod J
05-03-2011, 06:26 PM
I can't see Ubuntu being a long term solution though, with Unity becoming default DE next month (11.04).

Unity is a shell on top of the standard Gnome DE. Canonical unveils new 'Unity' Desktop Environment (http://www.canonical.com/news/unity-ubuntu-light-instant-web): "Unity is designed for netbooks and related touch-based devices."

As far as I can gather it will be entirely optional for normal desktop users and the Gnome DE will still be available.

More information available here: Unity Q&A (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1611490)

Cato
05-03-2011, 06:41 PM
Unity is a shell on top of the standard Gnome DE. Canonical unveils new 'Unity' Desktop Environment (http://www.canonical.com/news/unity-ubuntu-light-instant-web): "Unity is designed for netbooks and related touch-based devices."

As far as I can gather it will be entirely optional for normal desktop users and the Gnome DE will still be available.

More information available here: Unity Q&A (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1611490)

http://www.ubuntu.com/testing/natty/alpha3

Ubuntu Desktop

Unity is now the default Ubuntu Desktop session. If you encounter a problem with Unity, and it is not mentioned in the known bugs below, please follow the directions for filing a Unity bug.

The Unity Launcher is used to launch applications that are pinned to it, and switch between running applications. It supports Quick lists in its context menu as well as shortcuts activation. Finally, it also has full keyboard navigation and support for drag and drop to reorder Launcher icons.

There is a full Places implementation for Applications and files now, in addition to the "Dash" homepage (which you get when clicking on the Ubuntu logo) for most common actions. Search is functional as well. The icons can be dragged and dropped (with a black square image, still work in progress) from the Dash to be added to the Launcher.

Network Manager applet has been patched to use appindicator. Putting NM-Applet through as many test scenarios as possible is appreciated! Classic Gnome panel applets are not supported in Alpha 2, only Indicators.

There are now three session types available in gdm: "Ubuntu Desktop" will run Unity by default, "Ubuntu Classic Session" will run GNOME with gnome-panel. Ubuntu Classic supports all video hardware and video drivers, Ubuntu Desktop requires 3D driver support. Finally, you can force a "2D mode only" with "Ubuntu Classic Session (no effect)" which has the same interface than the Ubuntu Classic session.

If you install Unity 2D and you can't run Unity 3D, the fallback will be Unity 2D instead of the classic GNOME session.

Both Fedora and OpenSuse have ditched short term plans to include Unity. Though I think this has more to do with politics and the anti-ubuntu sentiment more than anything else.

Which distribution you use does not matter a heap unless you are an enthusiast - just like which car you drive does not matter unless you are an enthusiast!!

Of course, but in the end when one is starting out wouldn't one rather use the most polished of distributions?

mikebartnz
06-03-2011, 12:24 AM
Quite frankly I can't stand Ubuntu or any derivative but am a fan of PCLinuxOS. Kubuntu lasted all of about three minutes on my box.

Chilling_Silence
06-03-2011, 12:45 AM
That's part of the joys of linux, you can have it your way :D

mikebartnz
06-03-2011, 01:13 AM
That's part of the joys of linux, you can have it your way :D
You are so right there. I have been dabbling in Linux since the late nineties. Mainly with RedHat initially but also one from India which I was quite impressed with until it went commercial. (can't remember the name ) I have never liked Gnome and I dislike Ubuntu because of Gnome and the different way it goes about things. I can switch between PCLinuxOS and Fedora and barely notice the difference.
As an aside . I am a great one for copy and paste and today I copied a dd command but what I didn't realise was I also copied the carriage return. It was just as well SDB2 was a drive I was not using.

PPp
06-03-2011, 08:04 AM
Of course Geoff Palmers Blog is a great source of infomation, and covers all sorts of aspects of Linux. Its not the Linux version that is so important, but running into problems that you have no idea about. Support is important when you start Linux, so when you try different versions look at the various forums, and other support sites related to the version your trying to see how well they support newbies.

Chilling_Silence
06-03-2011, 09:01 AM
mmm PF1 is great like that, distro-independent for the better part ;)

somebody
06-03-2011, 09:16 AM
I'm still of the opinion that Linux is for servers, Windows is for desktops.

Snorkbox
06-03-2011, 09:23 AM
I have done some useful work using Linux but the majority of such work I still do on a Windows platform.

Don't let me stop you if you want to give Linux a go however. The only way to know is to try it and see.

Chilling_Silence
06-03-2011, 10:43 AM
I just thought I'd give Ubuntu 11.04 Alpha 3 a whirl. Aside from some minor issues during installation-time (It is Alpha after all), it's actually *really* slick! Much like the "wow" factor going from Windows 98 to XP, or from XP to Win7.

Anyways, I figured I had nothing to lose, so I'm gonna run with it for a bit and see how I go :D

Agent_24
06-03-2011, 11:18 AM
Can't say I like the OSX-style of having the menus in the top bar instead of the window itself.

Also the left-hand-side window controls are still stupid.

I hope you can get rid of it and just use standard Gnome.

Chilling_Silence
06-03-2011, 08:34 PM
I know if your system doesn't support the 3D from Compiz then it defaults to the stock Gnome.
Gnome-3 isn't far off too apparently?

Cato
06-03-2011, 09:27 PM
I know if your system doesn't support the 3D from Compiz then it defaults to the stock Gnome.

I thought it was supposed to revert to some form of quazi-gtk-qt mix if you couldn't use 3d??

Gnome-3 isn't far off too apparently?

A month, give or take.

Can't understand what they are doing though... Seems like a step back rather than a step forward. Unless you can live with terrible multitasking...

Agent_24
06-03-2011, 10:24 PM
Maybe I should switch back to KDE again....

sarel
07-03-2011, 08:15 AM
Maybe I should also try Ubuntu Live on the lappie, seeing that I could not run it on the old PC. Hmmmmmm, but I do like Win 7 a lot.

sarel

QW.
11-03-2011, 10:09 PM
For people that have used Linux Mint, what are your thoughts.

jwin
12-03-2011, 10:23 AM
Im on Mint 10 atm and i find it really great i hardly ever use windows anymore, but i mainly just use it to surf the web and basic stuff like that im still learning

It depends what your gonna use it for the mint forums are great for noobs like me if i get stuck so i suggest u register with them when u start out

other than that ive had no major dramas at all with mint so i recommend it specially it being free but dosnt hurt to donate a bit of cash to help the cause lol

Chilling_Silence
12-03-2011, 12:08 PM
It's great, just like Ubuntu, but with a few useful extras added in by default :)

gary67
12-03-2011, 12:27 PM
Mint has no games built in unlike Ubuntu, apart from that I like them both

johnd
12-03-2011, 05:34 PM
Ubuntu with a mint flavour!!

QW.
12-03-2011, 07:24 PM
Ubuntu seems to be the one that everyone one here likes.

fred_fish
12-03-2011, 10:01 PM
Ubuntu with a mint flavour!!

To take away that "brown" taste?