PDA

View Full Version : Hosts File Deleting

dpDesignz
04-03-2011, 07:45 PM
I have Facebook Blocked using my hosts file, but over the last couple of days my Hosts file keeps disappearing from my Hard Drive. The first time it just reset, but now it fully goes. Can anyone tell me what might be happening. No virus' and only standard windows updates since it started happening.

Thanks in advance

Speedy Gonzales
04-03-2011, 07:47 PM
Block it in the router, if you've got one (and its got the option)

Terry Porritt
04-03-2011, 09:05 PM
Perhaps some malware has got into your system, taken over the hosts file and is making it invisible.

http://www.boxaid.com/word/viruses-and-malware/unable-to-delete-or-edit-your-windows-hosts-file/

Googling disappearing hosts files suggests that it is not an uncommon event.

dpDesignz
05-03-2011, 10:23 AM
Yea thats what I found out too. My router does have the option but it's a home network with 6+ other devices on it, and I only want it blocked on mine. Facebook isn't the only site I use the hosts file for. I have a localhost web server on my computer which I need my hosts file to redirect my web browser for custom URL's.

zqwerty
05-03-2011, 11:06 AM
SpyBot Search & Destroy will prevent any changes to the Hosts file if the option is ticked, do you have it on your computer?

dpDesignz
05-03-2011, 11:25 AM
I use Microsoft Security Essentials. I have added that folder to be excluded so will see what that does.