PDA

View Full Version : Printer troubleshooting

linw
04-03-2011, 05:11 PM
Club network I help with has an XP SP3 machine that needs to print to a networked printer. I installed the printer driver onto the XP machine and it scanned the network, found the right printer/IP address and did its thing. The port protocol was LPR.

Cool, I thought. But, not so fast! The document appears in the spool queue, says it is printing, then disappears. Just as you would expect.

BUT, no printout appears.

Any clues as to how to troubleshoot this.

PS. We did look around for bits on the floor but couldn't find any!

pctek
04-03-2011, 05:17 PM
Wrong driver?
Wrong port?
Is the doc sitting in the print queue? You checked the obvious - not offline, not paused, paper loaded, correct tray chosen, no jams etc?

linw
04-03-2011, 05:42 PM
I left the dvr/port selection to the setup procedure. Certainly is the right printer/dvr. The port it created is the only one ticked so presumed that was OK. Not in queue - appeared then went.

Yes, sometimes the obvious can be overlooked! I had used the printer (big Sharp colour ptr/copier thingy) a little earlier from the Win7 main machine and it was OK. Should have re-checked to make sure it was still a goer, though, after I struck problems.

Thanks.

wainuitech
04-03-2011, 06:23 PM
Could be the wrong settings.

Both my Networked lasers both on XP and W7 have to have These Settings (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/Ports.jpg) If ANY are on LPR they do exactly what yours does.

Had that happen several times as well in businesses I have setup.

linw
05-03-2011, 12:20 PM
Thanks, WT. Wondered about LPR but thought the installer would know what it was doing.
Will try changing to your settings when I get there again.

Just had a thought - will check the Port Settings on the Win7 machine, as well, to see what they are.

linw
11-03-2011, 09:22 AM
Yep, WT, changed LPR to Raw and away it went. Wonder why installers do crap like this?

Thanks, again, all, another job ticked off!