PDA

View Full Version : Formating

01-10-2001, 10:59 AM
I have at present a AMD-K6 3D processor 301 MHz
with 1 hard disk 3.01 GB broken into 2 partitions and a further hard disk 4.01 Gb broken into 4 partitions. As my computer has one hell of a lot of rubbish on it I have decided to clear everything out , reformat and then re-install windows 95B operating system, at the same time I would also like to bring drive G and H once formatted as drive G only. Is there a set procedure for doing all this without a lot of hassle.

01-10-2001, 11:26 AM
Don,
There are a couple of options. I am not sure why you would stick to Windows 95B, why not at least go up to Win 98? Would probably make life easier. In particular, I am not sure what size disk partitions Win95B supports, but am reasonably confident that Win98 would support larger ones.
Otherwise, you may want to consider using Partition Magic or similar products, to juggle your partitions. FDISK is not pretty, although it is functional. I hear Partition Magic can resize partitions without losing data, but I have never seen this happen successfully myself. Take lots of backups, and best of luck to you, Rob C.

01-10-2001, 11:28 AM
Easily done using FDISK provided with windows. Note that after running FDISK all data on the drive will be lost. Make sure to enable 'large disk support' otherwise you will not be able to access the any part of the hard disk larger than 2GB.

Create the first partition as a primary partition, this will make it bootable, all successive partitions should be set up as extended.

The other program is Partition magic, very easy to use but is not free.