PDA

View Full Version : XP-Student 'Version' Missing Drivers

SurferJoe46
04-03-2011, 10:48 AM
I wonder if a Student Version is capable of having all the drivers necessary to make an OPSYS work after all these years.

A friend has an unused copy for himself when he was a student and just found it - but it won't load drivers for even the modem.

Any thoughts? Or is he asking for something that won't work at all from licensing limitations?

johcar
04-03-2011, 11:19 AM
Won't that depend on the hardware you're installing on? I doubt it has anything to do with licensing.

SurferJoe46
04-03-2011, 11:55 AM
Hmm- these were just handed out in class so I don't believe this is a possibility or factor.

wratterus
04-03-2011, 12:06 PM
Yeah it has nothing to do with licensing. If there are any missing drivers download them from the hardware manufactures support page after installing.

Agent_24
04-03-2011, 12:56 PM
No version of Windows contains all the drivers needed for every piece of hardware in existence...

Metla
04-03-2011, 01:00 PM
it won't load drivers for even the modem.

Any thoughts?

Remove side of case, remove modem, Relocate modem to landfill.

Or just disable it in the device manager.

Surely he isn't intending to use dial-up?

SurferJoe46
04-03-2011, 02:01 PM
That's the problem - nothing shows up in the device manager - the legacy USB and modem and DSL stuff is all un-recognized and won't even allow for upgrades or updates.

He'd like to get it on line to get things like SP1, SP2 and if there's a SP3, that too.

It sits there mute and won't even squirm when the CAT5e cable is plugged in from the router.

There's nothing in the BIOS to indicate that it even recognizes any of it's installed hardware either.

I'm gonna suggest a full format and re-install to see what happens - what sayest thee? (or 'youse guys'?)

Cato
04-03-2011, 02:03 PM
Download the drivers on another machine and then install them on his?

SurferJoe46
04-03-2011, 02:09 PM
Download the drivers on another machine and then install them on his?

If I say the 'H' word - don't hit me.

Hewlet Packard is the name of this puter and it won't even report on it's installed hardware - so we aren't too sure what to call for as far as drivers go.

SIW and Belarc give reports, and we might be able to work from that - but somehow the devices are all either masked or somehow redacted from the BIOS.

We got Belarc and SIW from another machine, and the only trouble is that this puter won't accept input via optical since it's not there according to the BIOS and the USB ports are all non-existent too - and as there is no floppy it's being a slight challenge right now to input anything but electricity.

Any ports might just as well be pencil sharpeners as good as they are at the mo.

johcar
04-03-2011, 02:11 PM
No wifi?

:pf1mobmini:

Cato
04-03-2011, 02:15 PM
We got Belarc and SIW from another machine, and the only trouble is that this puter won't accept input via optical since it's not there according to the BIOS and the USB ports are all non-existent too - and as there is no floppy it's being a slight challenge right now to input anything but electricity.

No optical drive in the BIOS? Is it powered?

What did you guys do??

Reset the BIOS to fail safe defaults...

If you can't do that, yank the cmos battery out.

Being HP it should have the model number stamped on somewhere?

SurferJoe46
04-03-2011, 03:33 PM
Yup the CMOS is good - I forced a BIOS reboot with the CMOS out and the power button IN and we got the DSL up-n running now - getting SP-1, SP-2 and SP-3 now too.

Bingo! The WIFI came back to life.

Still missing the USBs and the sound drivers yet.

Working on it - gack! I hate Compaq/HP stuff!

pcuser42
04-03-2011, 03:48 PM
Yup the CMOS is good - I forced a BIOS reboot with the CMOS out and the power button IN and we got the DSL up-n running now - getting SP-1, SP-2 and SP-3 now too.

You don't need SP1 and SP2 - SP3 installs just fine with SP1 installed :)

SurferJoe46
04-03-2011, 03:56 PM
I thought SP-2 was required - it's HUGE!

SurferJoe46
08-03-2011, 08:54 PM
UPDATE:

We ran Belarc to see what hardware was on the beast and we got everything but the 'Mass Storage Device' handled.

What's a 'Mass Storage Device' if it isn't a hdd, a hub or a memory card/stick of some sort?

Windoze error messages are so ---er, cryptic.

The WIFI error handled itself somehow with three hundred re-boots. At last! I think the light at the end of the tunnel is an oncoming train though.

Agent_24
08-03-2011, 09:12 PM
Mass Storage device is the generic name for any USB storage device, they never made separate classes for different types of storage so everything is under that label.

Card reader is likely, if you have one in the machine.

If you really can't figure it out, look up the hardware IDs and you should be able to find out what the device is