PDA

View Full Version : Practicality of dual screen FPS gaming?

jareemon
04-03-2011, 08:49 AM
With the crosshair usually being in the middle of the screen, is it practical to have dual screens for gaming? I know tri screens would be better but that's a little overkill. I was thinking of a single 42" plasma but then realised a dual screen 26" or so would be cheaper.
Do modern games have good support for dual screens?

pablo d
04-03-2011, 10:15 AM
Most modern shooters work fine multi-screen, albeit some with a few quirks, however i really really wouldn't go dual-screen for it. I tried it once and it's a PITA.

Three 24" screens maybe?

SolMiester
04-03-2011, 10:20 AM
IMHO, multi screen gaming is a gimmick, dual screen has the crosshairs by the bezel, but correct pixel render, tri screen gaming just stretches the outer screen pixels which look naff!
Personally, I would rather a 120hz LCD for 3D or PhyX on a 25x16 screen!

Deimos
05-03-2011, 04:56 PM
IMHO, multi screen gaming is a gimmick, dual screen has the crosshairs by the bezel, but correct pixel render, tri screen gaming just stretches the outer screen pixels which look naff!
Personally, I would rather a 120hz LCD for 3D or PhyX on a 25x16 screen!

Played any decent racing games with eyefinity? it is awesome.

The extra screens only add immersion, everything on the outer screens is stretched because of the FOV, but it is still very awesome to play FPS and racing games on 3 screens.

2 screens is pointless, don't even bother, having the bezel in the middle makes it annoying to look at.

SolMiester
06-03-2011, 05:23 PM
Played any decent racing games with eyefinity? it is awesome.

The extra screens only add immersion, everything on the outer screens is stretched because of the FOV, but it is still very awesome to play FPS and racing games on 3 screens.

2 screens is pointless, don't even bother, having the bezel in the middle makes it annoying to look at.

TBH, I havent played a racing game with eyefinity, and probably never will. All the ones I have seen, stretch the outer LCDs, it would be better IMO to have those LCD as left and right window rather than stretched view....it looks naff. Now put in some 3D and decent phyx on a large screen and Im there!

Deimos
06-03-2011, 06:07 PM
it looks naff.

Is that a technical term?

As I said, it is only for extra immersion, if the screens weren't stretched/distorted, you would find yourself looking at a target to shoot at it instead of aiming at it with your mouse.

it would be better IMO to have those LCD as left and right window

Uh, yeah, that is what you actually get, you can see the left and right doors and out the left and right windows (when using the in-car view) a little distortion from the fov, but it is very cool seeing a car trying to overtake you out of the corner of your eye.

urbanguerilla
07-03-2011, 10:36 PM
http://gizmodo.com/#!341413/alienware-curved-monitor-looks-like-its-from-another-planet

alienware curved monitor

Agent_24
08-03-2011, 10:55 AM
Racing and Flight sim games etc if written to use multiple monitors I think would be great.

But for FPS dual monitors would be idiotic (crosshair on the bezel as you say) although three monitors would be good IF the game was designed to support them and use them sensibly.

Other than that, one large screen is probably best.