PDA

View Full Version : Replacing Mouse of HP Dv7 Series Laptops

The Error Guy
02-03-2011, 08:00 PM
Thinking of buying a Dv7, according to reviews the trackpad mice are horrible.

Tried one once, they are pretty bloody bad. as a designer and programmer I use the physical buttons a lot rather than the "tap top click" function and the new ones just screwed me over on the few mins I attempted to use the stores Dv7.

Is it possible to replace the existing trackpad with another one? I'm guessing the ribbons would be the same so i'm assuming its just a matter of sourcing a new pad that would fit.

If that won't work (i'm betting it won't) does anyone know of any HP high performance laptops that don't have these retarded buttons?

PS yes, it has to be an HP laptop
PPS is it just me or is that chapagne pink that they have ghastly as I think it is? powdercoating time?

thanks in advance,

CYaBro
02-03-2011, 09:16 PM
Why not just get a decent wireless or bluetooth mouse?

Alex B
02-03-2011, 09:49 PM
Most "designer and programmers" don't buy consumer laptops. If its the model I'm thinking of then the physical buttons are on the system board and the plastic button its self breaks away from the top casing = new top casing required. I have replaced many of them.

sahilcc7
02-03-2011, 10:21 PM
HP probook?

:pf1mobmini:

The Error Guy
04-03-2011, 07:35 PM
HP Dv7 series, also seen on Dv6.

Technically i'm not a *proper* designer, rather a student who takes design as a subject (but I do a lot of media design out side of class too)

Can't really afford a non mainstream consumer laptop either. Just had a play around on a dv6, the buttons are not THAT bad (at least not as bad as I remember) so i'll try another model, might be just that one got a nice mouse.

The biggest problem is the entire pad is a touchable area meaning if your hand moves when you click, so does the mouse. fixable with changing the bounding area but still a pain.

The trackpads on the models that I have tested are not one single piece of the chassis. they are separate (thank goodness)

RE, wireless/wired mouse. all ready have one which is ok when I sit down for a while but lugging around such peripherals is a bit of a pain 100% of the time.

cheers for feedback

Greven
05-03-2011, 10:41 AM
I don't like those stupid buttons either. get a HP Probook - they are more robust & have real buttons. Why does it have to be HP?

bot
05-03-2011, 11:14 AM
IBM/Lenovo Thinkpads are very good, and very robust - only come in generic, business black, though lenovo have began selling a consumer range of notebooks called Ideapad - haven't tried them out.

I've always like HPs as well because they are very simple and well designed.

The Error Guy
05-03-2011, 02:34 PM
Graven: Trade in and a mate of mine works for HP US so he gets a certain price off any laptop once a year. this year he got an asus so he's selling me his HP