PDA

View Full Version : What is the best make of a computer?

30-09-2001, 06:05 PM
I'm thinking about buying a new computer, but I'm just wanting to know what is the best make to buy e.g Gateway,
Packard Bell,Hewlett-Packard etc.And which one is more reliable.
Also were would be the best place to buy a computer in Christchurch?

Thanks for all your help!!
cheers

30-09-2001, 06:31 PM
I would avoid OEM brands (eg compaq, HP etc) if you want to upgrade in the future, they tend to use custom parts.

I've also found that many parts they use aren't particularly good.

Try a 'mom and pop' place that assembles from standard parts, eg The PC Company, or any of the smaller places. They also tend to be cheaper than the OEMs.

Also, avoid a pentium 4 based computer as they are very expensive, and they are not as fast as they appear (MHz does not indicate the speed of the processor).

01-10-2001, 12:09 AM
personaly i like to custom build my own pc's, that way i know what i'm getting. the draw back is the cost. the big crowds can make cheaper machines than the small one man bands/mom&pop stores can.

with the big crowds its a matter of reading through the marketing bullshit. ie is that 56k modem a good hardware modem or a crappy software one.

as far as companys go.....i can't really say. hp make crap machines(in nz that is)compaq are ok but you will have trouble upgrading, pc company seem ok but i've seen to many faulty machines to go recommending them.

01-10-2001, 05:50 AM
Personally I would go for a generic makeup, a bit of this a bit of that. PCU in Moorhouse is good though if you want home style friendly service over shop counter service try Ken at Port Electic in Lyttelton, tell him what you need etc and he can tailor something to suit.

01-10-2001, 10:09 AM
I have found that The PC company provide a good deal Their systems currentlty come pre-installed with Windows XP and a good choice of peripherals.

The only complaint I have with The PC Company and many other system vendors is that they do not include the original installation disks, instead supplying you only with a recovery disk which will only work with the hard disk you purchased with the computer.

If you get a custom built system you can get exactly what you want. Sometimes this ends up costing slightly more but should last you a lot longer.

01-10-2001, 04:31 PM
Well I'm going to throw a spanner in the works. If this is your first PC then I suggest a known brand. 4 years ago I brought a HP and had no complaints. The support was excellent and the PC itself performed well... for a computer novice. I now have some experiance in PCs (enough to get me into trouble!!!) and have recently made up a PC out of parts I have brought from a variety of stores.
There can be no doubt that a PC of a known brand from a known store has the best support. But if you know what you're doing then a 'bitsa' from mom and pop will be the best.

01-10-2001, 07:40 PM
hi Matt,
the best? No such thing. Dell would be the choice if you're looking for a name-brand with good warrantee and support.
Make sure it has an AGP slot (for new video card)as this is a highly likely upgrade you will want to perform.

01-10-2001, 09:27 PM
Hi Tristan, preinstalled WinXP? I thought the release date was October 25

01-10-2001, 10:59 PM
I've used Start Computing which is down Manchester St and they were good. Also Computer Future looks as if they would be good.

JM

02-10-2001, 07:01 AM
This of course is a matter of opinion, so here is my opinion.
Firstly, what do you want the comp. for? Running a network, or just for the web? How much do you want to spend?
I suggest you find a local comp.shop that has been in business for a while.Keep away from the retail chains.Mostly they sell overpriced rubbish.
Assuming you want the comp. for general home use.I would suggest a Pentium IV cpu. They are the latest and the best. Forget the Pentium III, there days are numbered. Have nothing to do with a celeron. Too slow. Do not even consider any machine with intergrated periphials. Trouble. Ask anyone who has tried upgrading a Compaq or an HP Pavilion.
128 megs of ram is the absolute minimum,256 is better and only about $60 on the price. Get a good video card. If you are into art or games etc. make sure you get one with at least 32 megs of ram. NOT one that shares system ram.
Get a 17 inch monitor. Sony or Viewsonic are the best.
Lastly INSIST that you receive the full retail operating system on disk. Do not under any circumstances accept the 'system disk' that all the name companies are supplying these days.
As I said before find a small comp. shop and tell them what you want.You won't be disappointed.
Jack.

02-10-2001, 05:40 PM
If you are going for a laptop, for for Dell, if you are going for a OEM, got for Dell. They are slightly expensive, but they are the best (well... in my opinion)

If you are going to custom build your pc (recommended) you should do some homework and find out what exactly you want. A custom built pc is usually cheaper than OEM ones, and that doesn't mean they are not as powerful.

Some advices:
-Get a mainboard that allows you to upgrade components easily in the future.
-Get AMD CPUs, it's alot more economical, and performs better than P4 is many situations. Duron is better than Celeron in many situations.
-A fast CPU is not everything, and a machine with a 900MHz CPU is NOT twice as fast then a machine with a 450MHz CPU.
-Geforce display cards are very popular and they are the best all rounder for their cost.
-Get DDR ram... forget about SD ram. Have atleast 128MB.
-The looks of the computer case does not matter, you can see mine can you ;)

05-10-2001, 09:44 AM
in christchurch,try BCL