PDA

View Full Version : backing up etc

effie c
02-03-2011, 02:32 PM
Hi,

I am in the process of replacing my computer,next week end--I want to save sic., my contacts, and a few other programs to my existing 320 gb backing up h/d and then use that h/d again as a back up to the 500gb h/d I am installing as C drive

In the F drive as this one is titled, I see an automatic back up record of --"let the computer decide" ),as the initial program set up is set to but nothing specific a la contacts.

I use windows live 2011 and cannot see a specific "back up " button to back the contacts in there .

This ability must be made too for what I want to save, separate to what the pooter wants.

Can someone advise me please?

effie c

wainuitech
02-03-2011, 02:40 PM
To back up the contacts in live 2011.

Open the mail
left hand side near the bottom - click on contacts
Along the top menu bar click Export
Select Comma Separated Values (.CSV)
Click browse to put it somewhere safe
Enter a name to call it Eg: contacts
Select the boxes you want, generally the first & last name, Email address.

Once completed, there will be a file called contacts.csv at the location you chose. Copy that to a removable drive.

To put back on a new install, do exactly the same, but this time select Import

effie c
02-03-2011, 02:46 PM
Hi wainui T

Thank you and to copy say 'my pictures?- I assume that is similar?

effie c

wainuitech
02-03-2011, 05:45 PM
yeah basically similar -- with an external device attached Go to the my Pictures Folder, right click it, Copy, then open the external device - right click paste - you should see all the pictures copying across - to check, open the External drive folder, make sure they are there / open - select a few at random.