PDA

View Full Version : Does ATA drive order on a two-socket lead matter?

Billy T
02-03-2011, 02:14 PM
Hi Team

I've decided to use my old w2k computer as a practice jig for trialling Acronis True Image 9. I found the Acronis disk recently and don't recall buying it but what the heck.

I was motivated by finding that I had a new and unused 20GB Seagate HDD so I put it in a usb enclosure and hooked it to my new computer where showed up normally as an empty disk and appears to be formatted & ready to go. I'd pulled the drives and CD-RW out of the old box several months back, so I put the C Drive back in and it booted up OK. I defragged it and ran checkdisk and it is all going well, boots much faster and shuts down faster too.

I had hooked in the old C drive at the end of one of the two IDE cables and it booted OK from there, but if I insert the spare drive in the second connector (closer to the MB) it tries to boot from that instead. I see that this lead is in fact plugged into the Secondary IDE connector so first things first, should I transfer to the Primary IDE connector, and secondly, does it make any difference which order the disks are in on the IDE cable? The MB manual is singularly quiet on these matters.

I can't see imagine how it would make a difference, but since I have to hook in that drive to receive the image, and I need the DvD/CD-Rom to run the disk anyway I need to get them all recognised ansd working. There have been no bios or other setup changes made since it was decommissioned, so if any drive assignments etc have altered they may have been utomatic on boot.

Funny how the basic things throw you off balance when you least expect them to, I thought I'd just plug the disks back in and away I'd go!

Ignorance is bliss. :blush:

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

SolMiester
02-03-2011, 02:21 PM
If the drive jumper are on cable select, then the order matters, if they are set to Master or slave it doesnt matter what order. I cant however remember the order if cable select as I never use it. I prefer to set the drive order myself!

gary67
02-03-2011, 02:43 PM
Why not leave in the external enclosure and back up via USB?

ryanjames.powell
02-03-2011, 03:28 PM
If the drive jumper are on cable select, then the order matters, if they are set to Master or slave it doesnt matter what order. I cant however remember the order if cable select as I never use it. I prefer to set the drive order myself!

The master is at the end, the slave is in the middle for cable select.

Billy T
02-03-2011, 03:42 PM
OK thanks

From that information I was able to devise some new search terms which I used to find a "Mikes hardware" site Here (http://www.mikeshardware.com/howtos/howto_connect_ide_hd.html) that gave me the big picture of 40 wire and 80 wire cables etc.

I had no idea it was potentially so complicated, but now I'm hopeful I can set it all up. It is quite nice to have a computer that I can safely play with and know it doesn't matter if it goes down for any reason. I should have learned this stuff years ago but never really had the need, or a computer I could take risks on.

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :thumbs:

Bryan
03-03-2011, 08:06 AM
Check the BIOS to make sure that the computer is looking at the right HHD to boot from. You may need to play a little to get it right.