PDA

View Full Version : Anyone having issues with the latest Avast exe?

wratterus
02-03-2011, 09:35 AM
Just downloaded from the Cnet site here (http://download.cnet.com/Avast-Free-Antivirus/3000-2239_4-10019223.html?part=dl-85737&subj=dl&tag=button), and NOD doesn't like it. It would appear to be a false positive, just wondering if anyone else has tried downloading it and had any issues.

dugimodo
02-03-2011, 09:45 AM
Avast has lost popularity these days, MSE seems to be the free scanner of choice at the moment. And if you have NOD I assume it's not for you ? Haven't tried it myself but CNET is usually a safe place to get software, however I would get avast direct from their homepage if available.

Speedy Gonzales
02-03-2011, 09:46 AM
Some free programs install Opencandy (instead of something like Askbar).

Including CDburnerxp (one of its installs). There is a opencandy-free version of CDburnerxp tho. MSE did the same thing, when I downloaded CDburnerXP last week (the install with Opencandy in it). Which is adware. I came across Opencandy, when I checked someone's PC out last week, with teamviewer.

wratterus
02-03-2011, 09:49 AM
It's certainly not for me. :p I still occasionally use it on older XP machines though, MSSE is a bit much for some of them.

@ Speedy - A toolbar of some sort was my first thought too, Avast wants to install chrome but nothing else that I'm aware of.

Speedy Gonzales
02-03-2011, 09:50 AM
Thats like CDburnerXP. Unless you get the install without it, it'll install it. It doesnt give you the option to remove it

wainuitech
02-03-2011, 09:52 AM
Just tried it, and got the same thing.

There is also another program I use a lot - Izarc - (Zipping program) it now comes up with the same Win32/OpenCandy warning. I think its some sort of advertising they are adding in.

From MS who also picks it up :
Summary
Adware:Win32/OpenCandy is an adware program that may be bundled with certain third-party software installation programs. Some versions of this program may send user-specific information, including a unique machine code, operating system information, locale (country), and certain other information to a remote server without obtaining adequate user consent. These versions are detected by Microsoft’s anti-malware products.

wratterus
02-03-2011, 09:54 AM
OK, thanks for that. Good to know it's not just me. :p

pctek
02-03-2011, 02:15 PM
LOL. So an antimalware program, comes with malware.

nerd89
02-03-2011, 07:25 PM
Try downloading from ninite, they claim to remove all toolbars, crapware etc from their downloads. Works for me.

wainuitech
02-03-2011, 08:20 PM
Try downloading from ninite, they claim to remove all toolbars, crapware etc from their downloads. It appears to, But I have found if you include Super Antispyware, when theres a program upgrade it wont upgrade. Comes up with you need admin permission to install.
Even running with the permission it still wont upgrade. The Def updates go in OK though.