PDA

View Full Version : Some simple backup

Vince
02-03-2011, 07:47 AM
Is there a free reliable way to make accurate backups of my computer?

Something "yuck" DOS. or other.

Press one button and it's done, would be nice.

I have had bad luck so far. One well known one had made 15% progress in 12 hours and one reported huge number of errors. Windows always fails to save some important system files!

wainuitech
02-03-2011, 07:59 AM
Do you want to back up just data, Files etc, or the whole Hard Drive, OS and all -- going by the question, it could mean either ?

There are plenty about that work fine BUT:

one reported huge number of errors. Windows always fails to save some important system files! That alone would indicate you have system problems. Thats why it was taking so long. You need to sort those out.

gary67
02-03-2011, 08:00 AM
How do you want to back up, to an image or individual folders?

psycik
02-03-2011, 08:24 AM
Get something like acronis true image, pretty simple to set up, can protect your data or your whole computer....can save images to network, CD/DVD or external hard drive. I'd recommend to network as best option (as it means that it will happen automatically), or a permanently attached external drive.

gary67
02-03-2011, 08:47 AM
I used to use Acronis but changed to Active@ when win7 came out as it is half the price and does a better job on Win7

pctek
02-03-2011, 09:00 AM
Active @ for images.
Syncback for personal data.

gary67
02-03-2011, 09:06 AM
Active @ for images.
Syncback for personal data.

My setup as well

Vince
02-03-2011, 09:15 AM
How do you want to back up, to an image or individual folders?

Folders. I want to duplicate 2 discs, as they are, at a time of my choosing .

I just wondered, is there a batch file that wood do It?

Startup would be a good time, there wouldn't be interference other programs.

gary67
02-03-2011, 09:25 AM
I guess someone on here could make a batch file, not my area of knowledge though which I why I use software. Seems to be a few batch files on google search