PDA

View Full Version : Server 2008 WDS - Multicasting question

WarNox
28-02-2011, 03:27 PM
Hey!

I'm having a play-around with WDS but something isn't quite right with multicasting.

Weather I create a multicast session or not a PXE enabled client can boot up and install the OS, so that is working fine.

But, when I create a multicast session and select a particular OS to be installed through the wizard (ie. Windows 7 Business) and then PXE boot a client I still get the whole list of images to choose from (all the ones that are added to the WDS server). So Windows 7 Business image isn't forced onto the PXE client through multicast, but the client can choose which image to install.

Did I misunderstand something here or am I missing a configuration step? What is the point of selecting the Image to multicast if the client can choose which image to install anyway.

Thanks for any help.

Deimos
01-03-2011, 10:53 PM
I think someting isn't quite right with your understanding of multicasting.

I havn't played with WDS multicast but my experience with other multicast software is that the multicast can be triggered by the client (for WDS this may depend on how many clients are accessing the same WIM file) and if you start a multicast it does not affect the bahaviour of the client when booting off the network.

The main issue is that 1, you started a multicast (which is no big deal really) and 2 your clients are reading the same setup information when booting from the network (WDS doesn't modify your boot.WIM just because you started a multicast).

Think of it like this, lets say you multicast a video, that doesn't mean that everyone on the network is forced or required to watch the video, each client has to join the multicast to recieve the data.

If you want to "force" your client machines to only load Win 7 Ent, then you need to modify your boot.wim to automagically choose that setup option (and in my experience, automation is broken in WDS, so don't waste your time).

WarNox
02-03-2011, 09:40 AM
Yea I had a bit more of a play around and figured it out eventually. I think automation would work with an answer file but I don't need to bother for my testing purposes.

Now just need to figure out how to inject the correct drivers :)

Thanks for your response!