PDA

View Full Version : Bios checksum?

30-09-2001, 01:08 PM
I have a digital ventourus 575 with an updated cyrix 6x86MX - 133 chip in it. All worked fine in MSDOS until I upgraded my hard drive and changed my bios settings for the IDE bus. Now all that happens when I switch it on is that it gives three beeps - one long and two short. The service manual identifies this as 'Video Configuration fails or External ROM module fails a checksum test'
Any Ideas??

01-10-2001, 05:09 PM
Hi There,

The checksum error can often be a ram problem. Things to check are - In the following order.

1-Unplug the IDE cable from the hard drive and reboot.

2-Reset the RAM, do this by pulling each piece of ram out, and then reset, please ensure that you have taken antistatic precautions- either through an antistatic wrist strap, or hold the metal chassis of the case.

Cheers

Trent

03-10-2001, 04:03 PM
I have tried these, with no difference, (I cannot take out the last 8Mb RAM as it is on-board).

Thanks anyway,
Adrian

04-10-2001, 07:24 PM
The message is sensible: its not the BIOS CMOS ram it's complaining about.
I suspect that you may have disturbed or removed the plug in boards while upgrading. Try first completely removing the video card. Reboot. If the beeps differ, that was it. Turn off and replace it.
Carefully.
If that doesn't fix it, try any other boards which have ROMs with BIOS extensions.
But I suspect the video card because (a)it will have a ROM, and (b) the message specifically mentions it.
It is not easy to get boards plugged in.

08-10-2001, 08:00 PM
I have tried removing all the cards, but the video card is an on-board model :(
Thanks anyway :)