PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Update Problems!!!

quark
27-02-2011, 01:48 PM
Hi

I have just in stalled a fresh copy of Windows 7 Ultimate x64 on a ASUS PRO31J Series laptop. It activated fine. I installed all the updates avalible to download and restarted the laptop. It got to where it says Windows is starting but then would not go any further. So i restarted the laptop and tried to get the Recoverary System to work but it did not find any problems. I then used Windows Restore and it would not restore to any dates. I have now installed a fresh copy again. I have posted of the avalible updates. If any one could sugest possible problems with these updates or any solutions that would be great.

Thanks

The Error Guy
27-02-2011, 02:25 PM
I would guess it would be a driver one.

Win7 SP1 is out now, download + keep a copy of the service pack after installing. your computer should boot fine, after that go through the remaining updates (there won't be many) one by one to see which causes a problem.

quark
27-02-2011, 02:29 PM
Yeah i think it is. Il go and try that. Thanks for your help

wainuitech
27-02-2011, 02:48 PM
Did you install the drivers from ASUS for W7 / the laptop ?

Some updates will cause problems if the drivers are not installed. Some Drivers are loaded within Windows, some are not. always pays to use the manufactures drivers over Windows ones.

Also a 31J What ?? theres Ja, Jc,Jm,Jp,Jr,Jv

Edited:
Just checked on the site, and ASUS dont list any drivers for W7 - so the laptop may not be completely compatible. Hence some of the updates may be causing a problem.

quark
27-02-2011, 02:56 PM
Its a Jc. There's alot of updates that are not drives and are supposed to ensure compatibilitly and stability. Is it safe to install these one's?

quark
27-02-2011, 03:50 PM
I used to run Ultimate x86 on the same laptop and it ran fine but the x64 doesnt seem to want 2.

wainuitech
27-02-2011, 04:56 PM
SP1 basically has all the updates you would normally get through Windows Update.

There is a possibility that one or more of the updates is not compatible with the X64 OS, and your hardware - it is getting on a little in age ( the laptop).

If you do what The Error Guy says, and it still does it after SP1 - then you may have to reinstall again, and only put in a few updates at a time, sooner or later one or more may cause the problem.

quark
27-02-2011, 05:18 PM
ok thanks.

64etert
28-02-2011, 02:36 PM
if you go to the asus website there is driver updates you can get from it.

quark
28-02-2011, 04:16 PM
if you go to the asus website there is driver updates you can get from it.
Yeah thats tru. But they are not designed for Windows 7 x64 so they may be not compatible. Anyway I installed all the drivers frm windows upate fine. But trying 2 install any other update just make's the laptop not able to start

gary67
28-02-2011, 04:28 PM
Try Vista 64bit drivers if Win7 ones are not available