PDA

View Full Version : Stack overflow problem & VxD.

30-09-2001, 08:13 AM
I am running Win98-SE. On startup I get a blue screen (how unusual)which states:

'Windows is terminating thread due to stack overflow problem. Increase the setting of 'WinSPs' in 'System.ini' or remove recently installed VxDs. There are currently 5 SPs running'.

Can someone tell me please how to fix this. I looked in system.ini & can't find WinSPs. Also what is a .vxd file. Exact instructions to fix would be appreciated - cheers.

30-09-2001, 10:27 AM
To resolve this situation, add the following line to the [386Enh] section of the System.ini file and then restart your computer: MinSPs=4 If the problem persists, increase the number of spare stack pages in increments of 4 (for example, 8, 12, 16). NOTE: Each spare stack page requires 4 kilobytes of memory.

credit to anon anon

30-09-2001, 11:50 AM
Cheers tweak'e the problem seems to be fixed now. Can you (or anyone else) please tell me what SPs are (apparently I have 5 of them running) and what a .vxd is. This problem has only appeared recently. Whilst I have fixed the problem by increasing the number of SPs allowed, perhaps I could also delete some old entries?

Anyway thanks for your help tweak'e I regularly read yours and others' very helpful postings here in the forum.