PDA

View Full Version : Monitor won't come out of sleep

supersi
24-02-2011, 09:10 AM
I have an LG W2442PA LCD screen connected via DVI to a Radeon 4850 video card. The card is mounted on an Asus P5N32-E SLI motherboard. My psu is a Corsair 650W.

I also have 3 sata hard drives, 1 sata dvd drive and a card reader.

Every time I put my pc to sleep and then wake it my monitor will not come out of sleep. I have tried everything. Turning the monitor on and off, unplugging it from the video card. I have installed the latest graphics card driver.

The only things that seems to work is popping the CMOS battery. As you can imagine that's a real hassle.

I think my PSU delivers enough power so components aren't getting starved of power at startup.

Are there settings in BIOS I should know about?

dugimodo
24-02-2011, 12:28 PM
there are settings in the bios relating to what method is used to sleep the video, worth a try. I've not had much luck with problems like this myself, seems some graphic card and MB combinations just dont like waking up. My Gaming PC will not resume properly from sleep so I disabled the function. The other one happily goes in and out of sleep all week long - coincidentally using an ASUS HD5850.

supersi
24-02-2011, 12:35 PM
Thanks. I think I found two bios settings that have fixed the issue.

1. The PCI setting for the graphics card was incorrect. I changed it from PCI to PCI-E as that's what the graphics card is. My guess is the motherboard wasn't feeding the card the right amount of power.

2. I changed the power state (options, PS 1, PS 3 & PS 1 &3 auto) to PS3. This gives the motherboard a heightened level of power to use to wake from sleep?

dugimodo
24-02-2011, 03:31 PM
I think the power state is to do with how many devices get fully shut down etc. For example S3 which is most likely the same as PS3 is "suspend to RAM" meaning everything but the RAM is powered down and the current state of the PC is stored in RAM so it can resume very quickly without doing a full boot. This is my pereferred setting when it works properly for me.

The PCI / PCI-E setting most probably relates to wether the first Video device initialised is the onboard or add-on graphics card and could be the one that helped.

supersi
24-02-2011, 09:14 PM
I spoke to soon. After successfully trying sleep/wake a couple of times, I put it back to sleep, came back a few hours later and same old problem.

Speedy Gonzales
24-02-2011, 09:23 PM
Is it the SLI or SLI Plus?? If its the SLI, what BIOS is on it?

Because

P5N32-E SLI BIOS 1903
Fix it takes long time to screen show with certain AMD graphic card when booting up the system.

P5N32-E SLI BIOS 1701.
Fix PCIE VGA card might fail to function when being plugged in the third PCIEx16 slot.
P5N32-E SLI BIOS Release version 1103
1.Fix it fails to resume from S3 mode by PS2 Keyboard.
2.Enhance compatibility for certain memory modules.

P5N32-E SLI Release BIOS version 0602
1.Enhance compatibility with Conroe 1333MHz CPU.
2.Add support to n-Tune Voltage and Fan Speed control.
3.Fix Fan stops error when resume from S3 with nTUNE utility installed.
4.Support new CPUs. Please refer to our website: http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx?SLanguage=en-us

supersi
24-02-2011, 09:32 PM
Thanks Speedy. Here's the PCI info...
Bus PCI-Express :
Device : C55 PCIe Bridge
Version : 1.0
Port : 0
Physical Slot : #0
Slot Populated : Yes
Link Width : x16 (max. x16)
Link Speed : 2.5 GB/s

My BIOS is showing rev 1503. do I have to download and apply all revisions in order? Or can I just download the latest (1903) which will cumulatively apply all fixes?

Speedy Gonzales
24-02-2011, 09:38 PM
Usually you just flash the latest one. Make sure you get the right BIOS. Since, there is also an SLI Plus mobo

Cato
24-02-2011, 09:42 PM
I have an LG W2442PA LCD screen connected via DVI to a Radeon 4850 video card. The card is mounted on an Asus P5N32-E SLI motherboard. My psu is a Corsair 650W.

I also have 3 sata hard drives, 1 sata dvd drive and a card reader.

Every time I put my pc to sleep and then wake it my monitor will not come out of sleep. I have tried everything. Turning the monitor on and off, unplugging it from the video card. I have installed the latest graphics card driver.

I had a similar problem on a laptop I was using, after sleep it would refuse to output to the external monitor no matter what I did. Since the laptop's screen wasn't affected, I couldn't get any output to the external monitor at all; changing setting through both ATI and Vista's control didn't make a difference even though they both detected the monitor...
Logging out solved the problem.

This leads me to suspect it's an ATI driver issue.

WINDOWS KEY > RIGHT ARROW KEY > RIGHT ARROW KEY > L

^Will log you out, I would try that next time if the computer wakes up from sleep but the monitor does not.