PDA

View Full Version : Confused about setting up a Linux server...

29-09-2001, 05:10 PM
Hey there, currently I have a windows workgroup, with one computer running win 98, one running win ME, and the other on Windows XP.
The Windows XP one (My computer) currently shares the internet, but I'm wanting to relegate this to a linux box I'm building, which will have Redhat Linux 7.1 on it.
My confusion comes about by domains - I don't understand what they are, and what relevance, if any, they have on me making the linux box the networks server.
Also, any suggestions on what I need to setup to make this work would be much appreciated.
Finally, I will probably be sticking this box in the shed - is there anyway I can administer it from my computer (either from Linux or Windows XP) so that I can run it as if it's my computer.
Please help me,
Thanks in advance,
Jonathan Giles.

29-09-2001, 06:46 PM
Linux makes remote administration very easy.

The webmin package will let you do almost everything from a web interface (HTTPS). And many of the other services also have their own web based interfaces, eg Samba and cups.

I would also setup SSH (I don't reccomend telnet), to let you log in and run apps on it (including X apps).

If you have an X server on your windows box you will be able to run a complete X session remotely.

This is the kind of stuff that unix is good at.
Sorry I cant help you with the domain stuff.

29-09-2001, 06:53 PM
'If you have an X server on your windows box you will be able to run a complete X session remotely'

I don't understand what you are meaning here, can you please clarify.
I doubt it, but is there anyway to have a program like PcAnywhere (haven't actually used PcAnywhere, but I assume it allows you to basically see the persons desktop, as if it were yours) that I can use to control the Linux box I'll have running? Perhaps that is what your above comment means.

Thanks for your reply,
Jonathan

01-10-2001, 10:44 AM
you dont really need to worry about domains to add a linux box to a network, all you need is samba which comes with most if not all distros, Samba will allow you to share dirs on your linux box with the windows pc's. The easied way to config it is to install the swat program (again will most lilky be with the distro) You just point your web browser at the swat address (can't remember what it is off the top of my head but the man page for it will tell you) Makes it very easy, if you get stuck I can email you my config file for it.

Craig

01-10-2001, 10:48 AM
I appreciate the comments, and would really appreciate you sending the file, if it isn't too much trouble.

I'm 75% of the way through downloading Redhat 7.1, after not having used Linux for 2 years - looking forward to it! :)

My email is spikey@xtra.co.nz.

Thanks alot,
Jonathan Giles

03-10-2001, 03:48 PM
Hey guys, he's just starting out. All this talk about setting up Xwindow servers on PCs to administer a server...
Windows 'terminal' on a telnet connection is a hellof a lot easier. Anyway, all he needs is a Samba server on the Linux box, which can be setup from any Browser on a PC windows box. Or in line mode on the Linux console, or on a telnet link. (BTW, most dists now disallow telnet connections as root, but you can login then su). A full server with any more than httpd web server is going to require a lot of R'ing the RMs, including a few of the books. The Network and System
Administrators books are good (and free) in electronic form), and the O'Reilly books are all good.
These books are small compared to the 1000 page plus books which have proliferated to tell people how to 'use' the 'user friendly, intuitive' stuff which comes out of Seattle.