PDA

View Full Version : Hot CPU

29-09-2001, 05:42 PM
How hot is too hot for a CPU.I upgraded to an athlon 750 thunderbird and for three months had nothing but problems.For all that time the CPU temp was 67.4 degrees + , would this have damaged the CPU ?.A new case and fan lowerd the temp but i still get lots of computer lock ups.

30-09-2001, 10:15 AM
Have a look at the helpful replies I got under Safe Temperature a couple of days ago.
They confirm 50C is about as high as you should expect.

You do not say how often things crash, some are to be expected if you are running Windows applications.
You may need to check the CPU settings on the motherboard; are you are overclocking, that sounds like what you are experiencing?

With these AMD processors,The heatsink\fan combo needs to be the best you can afford.

I have had good results with the Athlon 1.4GB 266MHz without the need for additional cooling, but I did have an expensive heatsink and fan; and not the inadequate one supplied to me a couple of days ago.

03-10-2001, 11:16 AM
Seems too hot should be around 33 to 55 when maxed out I hit 70 once or twice but only when o/clocking and playing unreal tournament get the cpu out and ensure that the blue plastic that covers the pink thermal paste is removed also scrape that gummy stuff off then clean with isopropal alchohol and put some thermal heat transfer compound onto the base then reinstall.