PDA

View Full Version : A computer not starting - help/suggestions needed

R.M.
22-02-2011, 10:21 AM
This morning the Community Cat ran around the back of the 'puter and knocked out some plugs (yet again) and stopped it. The main power plug was out again. This time when I restarted the first screen message came up (the Asus Motherboard screen) - and then nothing. After some forced starts and restarts I finally got everything going.Then it said it had to reload some drivers (which it did, but some it didn't find) and then said it needed to restart. So I did.

And of course, I'm back to where I was - a Asus Motherboard screen which is doing nothing. All the plugs and light seem to be in the right place - what next???

The 'puter is a custom built one from ComputerLounge last August

R.M.
22-02-2011, 10:42 AM
It's going again. But of course, now I'm terrified to turn the d.... thing off!

:illogical

dugimodo
22-02-2011, 02:07 PM
Computers really should be cat free zones, my friends cat has caused many problems on her pc that I end up fixing.

If the pc was running when the cat decided to unplug it then things could have gotten screwed up on the hard drive, pc's dont respond well to cat induced sudden power downs.

I would suggest running a full error check with chkdsk at a minimum, if problems return possibly see if system restore sorts it out. Failing that post back here with your problems and go from there. - open my computer, right click the C: drive, choose tools, error checking - do a full scan. Will require a restart.

R.M.
22-02-2011, 02:40 PM
I'm backing up flat out at the moment....

Then I will back to get some help. I have three C Drive backups - one an Acronis, one a Paragon (I would prefer to use this, it is the most recent) and a Windows one.

I still can't get onto IE8, Firefox looks a bit dodgy beyond the home page...

R.M.
22-02-2011, 05:10 PM
I've just run Malwarebytes - found 20 problems. How do I know which ones are safe to remove?

I'm still having major problems restarting the 'puter, but am able to get onto the 'net now.

TIA for your help - and my problems seem minor compared to those in Christchurch. :(

Speedy Gonzales
22-02-2011, 05:12 PM
All of them are malware tick all then click on remove selected

R.M.
22-02-2011, 07:40 PM
Thanks for that, Speedy - I appreciate your wise counsel! :)

Speedy Gonzales
22-02-2011, 07:57 PM
No probs :)

Snorkbox
22-02-2011, 08:03 PM
Couldn't have been the possibly blameless cat that put malware on the PC I suspect.

R.M.
22-02-2011, 08:21 PM
The situation is not QUITE back to normal, but I'll blame her anyway (unrealistic I know!). But you want to see the barricades I've set up to prevent her running around/over/behind the 'puter! While still allowing the heat to dissipate. She's welcome to talk to me at the front... :)

And she doesn't live with us (but shares her favours around at least three households). The other two of us discuss the poor care and attention she gets from her 'mother'! Smart cat.