PDA

View Full Version : Trying to resurrect my DSE ATA USB enclosure

Billy T
17-02-2011, 05:42 PM
Hi Team

Since I've been frequently swapping disks in and out of this unit, it is quite possible that I have munted the short and flimsy 39pin interconnection lead. (40pin actually, but one socket at the middle is blanked off.) It looks OK but you never know.

I have a much more durable version with pull tabs to extract the plugs but it has system at one end slave in the middle and master at the other. System to slave is 30cm long, while slave to master is only 15cm so I'd like to cut off the system to slave end and use the slave to master end.

I also have another unmarked version without pull tabs that doesn't have the blanked socket hole, but I can't see that this would matter at all. To me it would simply mean it didn't matter which way around I connected it.

There are no crossover wires or anything like that, so is there any reason why I can't disregard the labelling and use the slave to master end to replace my possibly damaged original?

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

PPp
17-02-2011, 08:00 PM
Sorry DSE to me means cheap whatever you pay( which is OK sometimes)

linw
17-02-2011, 08:03 PM
Get snipping but why agonize over a "possibly" damaged cable? I'd wait till it was a definitely damaged cable!

Agent_24
17-02-2011, 11:13 PM
Sorry DSE to me means cheap whatever you pay( which is OK sometimes)

They're not the greatest but they are by far nowhere near the cheapest\worst.

For example, on this enclosure in question, the cable is easily removable (as is the case with my own DSE enclosure)

On a much cheaper enclosure I also have, the cable is soldered in and I suspect faulty.

I also broke the cable on my DSE one with repetitive swapping, but replaced it with another.

Agent_24
17-02-2011, 11:16 PM
I also have another unmarked version without pull tabs that doesn't have the blanked socket hole, but I can't see that this would matter at all. To me it would simply mean it didn't matter which way around I connected it.

There are no crossover wires or anything like that, so is there any reason why I can't disregard the labelling and use the slave to master end to replace my possibly damaged original?

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

It doesn't matter. What you propose should work perfectly if the cable is normal.

Billy T
19-02-2011, 12:03 PM
It doesn't matter. What you propose should work perfectly if the cable is normal.

Thanks, that's the answer I needed. Logic said it would be fine, but asking removes doubt.

I'll report back later.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)