PDA

View Full Version : Please Help Here!!!

28-09-2001, 07:41 PM
Hi, at the moment i have a computer with pentium 75 and 32 ram along with microsoft windows 95 (second/97), but just then, after mistakenly deleted. So now, the computer won't even start into windows 'cos in can't. so i have gone into ms-dos and it goes:

C:\WINDOWS>

so my first question is what do i type so that i can change it to:

C:\>

then how do i change it to:

D:\>

(not just by typing d: after C:\> 'cos i've tried it and it doesn't work)

so that it is reading my cd-rom drive which will have the windows95 cd. after all this, what do i need to type/do in order to copy the system file i'm missing into the hard drive so that i can't use my system again. if this is not possible and i HAVE to format the whole drive, then how do i copy my important documents onto a floppy disk from 'my documents' I know this sound confusing but this is the best i can do to explain it, please ask for further details if needed. Many of you out there may know the solution but cannot be bothered to answer, so can i say please do answer 'cos i have many important files on this computer and hope to use it. Thanks a million in advance.

28-09-2001, 08:27 PM
C:\WINDOWS>cd\

C:\>d:

D:\>setup

Just reinstall windows, and all of your documents will still be there.

28-09-2001, 08:32 PM
If you used your start up disk to get to the c\windows dos prompt then your cd drive will be E: not D:

28-09-2001, 09:42 PM
Thank you very much for you're advice, i have just formatted my hard drive and installe windows, don't worry, i stored my files on floppy! Thanks anyway.