PDA

View Full Version : System won't defrag. HELP!!!!!!!

28-09-2001, 08:04 PM
Running Windows 98se on Pentium III 667. System won't defrag. Keeps reaching 3% then restarts, over and over again. Have cleaned out unwanted 'stuff', run scan disk, run AVG, run Adaware, and run system file checker. Now I want to defrag. but it won't. Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance to those who can help me.

28-09-2001, 08:46 PM
The easiest way is to boot into safe mode and run it there (press shift when just before the win98 splash screen).

29-09-2001, 10:28 AM
Hello,
this usually means something is running in the background, try turning off your screensaver, and disabling AVG
cheers,

29-09-2001, 10:56 AM
Ran defrag.from safe mode as bm suggested. This worked. You are right, though. When I ran scandisk I receved a message saying that something else was running, but couldn't work out what. However in saying that, it has allways worked perfectly well with these functions running until now.

04-10-2001, 08:32 PM
There is a freeware programme called RegCleaner, nothing to do with MS Reg Clean.
Go to http://www.jv16.org
This has a column for Startup programmes & can be set to show hidden programmes that do not show with Control Alt Del
I used this to find & remove a programme that I thought I had junked about 3 years ago.Frank