PDA

View Full Version : Dial-out on startup

28-09-2001, 12:13 PM
Recently, my modem dials out automatically on startup or reboot for no apparent reason.
It just dial my ISP and sits there for ever using up ISP time until I cancel. Could be expensive if I don't remember to can it. I have up to date Nortons virus protection.
No browser or mail progs are running at this time.
Any suggestions appreciated.?

28-09-2001, 12:32 PM
Hi Grant. It's likely that a program you have running is causing this. If you've installed anything new recently go into it and check out it's options or Preferences. If you're running win98 or ME you can go Start, Run, type msconfig and hit enter. Under the Startup tab you can see which programmes are auto-starting, and the culprit will likely be shown there.

If you can't find anything there you can also go Control Panel, Internet Options, Connections, and check Never Dial a Connection, which will disable the auto dial-in function.

Hope this helps.

29-09-2001, 12:41 AM
Hi Greg
Thanks for the suggestions.
Sort of helps but still a bug somewhere.
WithInternet Options set to 'Don't dial a connection', the startup problem has gone but opening the browser no longer dials out - I have to make the connection first from Dial Up Networking, then open the browser.
With the original prob, dial out occurs as soon as boot is completed - before any programs are running.
Nothing unusual in the startup list in MSCONFIG.
Thanks anyway
Grant