PDA

View Full Version : WTF Windows is not genuine

pctek
12-02-2011, 11:48 AM
Booted this morning. No worries, come back in a minute ago.
Had Windows is not genuinine in the bottom right corner.

WTF??!!

1)Updates are and have always been disabled.

2)It IS genuine. Bought it and installed it nearly 2 years ago now.

So how did that happen?

Chilling_Silence
12-02-2011, 11:52 AM
Have you changed hardware recently?

wainuitech
12-02-2011, 12:28 PM
It happens sometimes, simply reactivate it.

One cause is Software Licensing Service has stopped. It may not have woken up right side of the desk this morning. :p

From one Of MS tech sites, it relates to Vista, but the same is for W7. I checked this when one of the Workshop W7's did this trick almost daily, and the service was not running.

"The problem is that your Vista's Software Licensing Service has stopped. Vista uses this service to check itself and confirm it is Genuine. When the service is stopped, Vista is unable to confirm it's own Genuine status and may show Genuine or Non-Genuine."

You can open a command prompt in Admin, and enter net start slsvc

Agent_24
12-02-2011, 01:10 PM
And that's what you get for paying for something!

Meanwhile the pirates enjoy their free AND non-self-destructing Windows installations.

What a joke....

SKT174
12-02-2011, 01:22 PM
Reminds me of this ...

http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/Pirate-DVD-vs.-Legal-DVD.jpg

Snorkbox
12-02-2011, 01:29 PM
Not found error.

8ftmetalhaed
12-02-2011, 02:18 PM
I swapped a few sata cables around in my case a while back, windows complained it wasn't genuine.
It was hilarious, you should have seen the way I shat myself.

pctek
12-02-2011, 03:00 PM
One cause is Software Licensing Service has stopped.

Aha. That's been stopped for ages.
Anyway I used a ****** to get rid of it.

mzee
13-02-2011, 09:49 PM
My desk top has a genuine edition of Windows 7 Professional but for some reason declared that it was not genuine twice. No hardware changes. The second time was enough, so I used a well known program to reset it. No more problems.

It somehow got its knickers in a twist because Microsoft Security has always said that it is genuine.

wainuitech
14-02-2011, 07:00 AM
The funny thing is you dont need hacks to get rid of the message. You simply reactivate it and its happy again.
If you get that message it because something has changed or some service has not started correctly,and by hacking the message it can cause problems further down the line. The case of mine doing that, I know why - it was something I had done while playing about, so it was my own doing.

pctek
14-02-2011, 10:40 AM
And why should I need to reactivate?
It's not like I changed anything, no hardware swaps, no new software.
I hate being spied on so stuff them, it's been fixed.

wainuitech
14-02-2011, 12:51 PM
And why should I need to reactivate?
It's not like I changed anything, no hardware swaps, no new software.
I hate being spied on so stuff them, it's been fixed. Hate being spyed on ?? To late for that - guess no more Internet usage then eh ! every where a person goes its recorded.

Whats the damn problem anyway, simply click activate and its done. Its done every time some software is installed.

Maybe time to use Linux and all open source then and dump windows if a simple thing goes wrong because some service or what ever didn't start right --------geeeeeeeeee :groan:

Chilling_Silence
14-02-2011, 01:29 PM
I thought of suggesting that too, but you still get "spied" on everywhere you go online anyways :p

pctek
14-02-2011, 02:10 PM
Yes well we can minimise the snooping.

No need to allow every little thing.

SolMiester
14-02-2011, 02:14 PM
Yes well we can minimise the snooping.

No need to allow every little thing.

What o/s is it?, XP?

B.M.
14-02-2011, 02:17 PM
Well my sympathies lie with PC Tech on this one. :)

This has happened to me too on a couple of occasions and as far as Iím concerned Microsoft were calling me a thief which I arenít. If they were to say it to my face Iíd knock their block off, but seeing I canít ever find anyone from Microsoft in person my only recourse was to excommunicate them the same as PCTech.

Iíve paid for their products so Iíll use them, and in the meantime they can do without knowing what Hardware Iíve changed.

pctek
14-02-2011, 03:22 PM
This has happened to me too on a couple of occasions and as far as Iím concerned Microsoft were calling me a thief which I arenít.

my only recourse was to excommunicate them the same as PCTech.

:D
:lol:

Solmeister: It was Win7 Pro