PDA

View Full Version : New Word documents opening at 194%

Beemer
12-02-2011, 09:16 AM
Lately I've been having trouble when opening a new Word document from the Start menu. Instead of it opening at 100% as it usually does, it's opening at 194% and it's really annoying as I have to then resize it down.

I'm hoping it's just a setting that needs tweaking, but I can't find anything that relates to the size a page opens at. It doesn't seem to do it when I open an existing document from My Documents or from any other location, it's just doing it when I open a new Word document via the Start menu.

Any ideas how to fix it? It's Word 2003 if that makes any difference.

Snorkbox
12-02-2011, 01:05 PM
I would suggest you find and delete normal.dot

Word will create a new normal.dot when you restart it.

Beemer
12-02-2011, 08:28 PM
Ta, will give that a try tomorrow!

Beemer
13-02-2011, 07:53 AM
Sorry to be dense, but how do I do this? I've tried searching online for help with this but it all says to go to 'My Computer' and I don't have that option, and I can't get any of the screens they show shots of.

Jen
13-02-2011, 08:05 AM
I will assume you are using WinXP. Firstly make sure you have Word closed.

Go to Start > Search, then read this: How To Search for Files and Folders in Windows XP (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308895).

Make sure you select your C drive, and under the more advanced options, select search hidden files and folders.

In the search box, enter in normal.dot and start the search. When the search has completed, select and delete all the normal.dot files.

Exit out of the search and then open Word again. Let us know if this fixes your problem. :)

Beemer
13-02-2011, 08:36 AM
Sorry, should have said, using Windows Vista Home Premium, does that make a difference?

Speedy Gonzales
13-02-2011, 08:45 AM
Might be in C:\users\username\appdata\roaming\microsoft\templa tes. Thats where it is on here. Altho, I'm using Office 2007

Jen
13-02-2011, 09:15 AM
Searching for hidden files in Vista is a bit more harder.

Click on the globe start button and enter in normal.dot in the bottom search field and then click 'search everywhere' (see search-1 image).

Ignore the first search results in the window that opens, and click the 'advanced search' button (see search-2 image).

Under advanced options, select C drive and 'include non-indexed, hidden and system files' (see search-3 image), and click search.

This should locate all normal.dot files. I use Office 2007 so my normal.dot files are called normal.dotm in the screen shot.

John H
13-02-2011, 09:52 AM
Just to put a spoke in the wheel - in earlier iterations of Word, normal.dot contained a lot more information than simply your formatting preferences.

For example it included all my postal addresses that I had built up over several years. Many of them were not recorded elsewhere, or if they were, it took a long time to type them back in when in a fit of madness I deleted my normal.dot. Other things were lost as well, such as Auto correct options, use of cm instead of inches, etc etc.

Is that still the case - I am remembering several years ago? If it is, you might save time and irritation by solving the magnification problem, only to find yourself in a pickle over addresses etc and have to spend a lot of time knocking normal.dot back into shape.

Beemer
15-02-2011, 12:25 PM
That would irritate me John! I have heaps of auto correct options!

The weird thing is, all of a sudden (and without deleting normal.dot or doing anything I can think of) it has stopped doing it and all new documents are opening at 100% again! I may just leave it for now and see if it stays that way.

John H
15-02-2011, 12:34 PM
Well, that is good news Beemer. I have given up trying to understand Microsoft designed products, so any unpredictable behaviour like you are experiencing seems completely predictable. If you get my drift.

If you do decide to trash normal.dot, I would recommend first re-naming the existing normal.dot as Oldnormal.dot, and move it somewhere other than its usual residence.

Then fire up Word so it creates a new normal.dot. If it means that you have lost all of the things like your addresses etc, you can always go back to the original normal.dot by changing its name back from Oldnormal, and moving it back to the correct folder, which in my case seems to be C:\Documents and Settings\admin\Application Data\Microsoft\Templates.

Beemer
15-02-2011, 12:36 PM
I decided to give it a go... and apart from having to change the default font from Times New Roman, it seems fine now. I typed in my name (the spelling of which throws spell checks!) and it automatically capitalised it and accepted it, so here's hoping all the other auto correct items are intact too.

Thanks Jen, I doubt I would have found it otherwise!

SolMiester
15-02-2011, 12:46 PM
You could just rename the normal.dot to start.dot and put it in the word start up folder. If any address are there they will come through with the start up template