PDA

View Full Version : Windows Update KB971029

GameJunkie
09-02-2011, 08:50 AM
got 9 updates come through today, all ticked except this one.

the description says " Update for Windows Vista (KB971029)

Download size: 7.2 MB

You may need to restart your computer for this update to take effect.

Update type: Recommended

Install this update to restrict AutoRun entries in the AutoPlay dialog to only CD and DVD drives. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer.

More information:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971029

Help and Support:
http://support.microsoft.com"

says its important, but i like the autoplay for everything, flashdrives/externals/ipods and cd/dvd's etc.

wont be installing this one though.

thoughts????

Speedy Gonzales
09-02-2011, 09:41 AM
Shouldnt hurt it. Altho its probably so malware wont infect flash drives.

Snorkbox
09-02-2011, 10:03 AM
I have autorun turned off on everything as I want to KNOW what is going to run when I insert media.

pcuser42
09-02-2011, 10:11 AM
I have autorun turned off on everything as I want to KNOW what is going to run when I insert media.

By default Windows Vista doesn't run Autorun on CDs anyway - it comes up with a dialog box asking if you want to run that or open the disc itself :) (same goes for flash drives in XP and later)

zqwerty
09-02-2011, 10:17 AM
Absolutely, autorun needs to be turned off by default. Just asking for trouble to have it on flashdrives/externals/ipods and cd/dvd's etc.

wainuitech
09-02-2011, 10:37 AM
Just did an update on a customers PC Vista PC, included that update. The box still popped up asking what do you want to do when I plugged in the USB drive.

Speedy Gonzales
09-02-2011, 10:41 AM
Same here with a USB flash drive. It brings up less options tho (open it or speed up the system). Pretty sure there were more options before

AvonBill
09-02-2011, 11:16 AM
Autorun and Autoplay are two different things. Autorun is inheritantly dangerous and should be disabled. Autoplay can be useful. See this article for more info.

http://www.online-tech-tips.com/computer-tips/autorun-vs-autoplay/

Codeplayer
15-02-2011, 09:09 PM
The update made my computer look like windows 98. I have installed vistaglazz (like aero) to make taskbar like glass. Also i have installed steelflash final version theme and dreamscene with asteroids 2. It makes a very great look for home computer, that is the centerpiece of my apartment with a big screen. My computer has all the power needed to feed those gadgets and do anything else with Windows Vista. So I have been using this look for over a year now with no problems. I quess Microsoft wants to offer Aero and Dreamscene only for the Ultimate version of Windows Vista and so the update disables them. But also, i couldn't revert even back to windows vista look. So I made system restore, and this was the only update installed since. After the restore, everything was back to beautiful again. I also wonder, why Home versions of Vista do not have the ability to look good? At work, I like my desktop without gadgets and blinking stuff. At home though, the LCD sits there like painting, like a piece of art and yes, it has to look very sleek.

GameJunkie
15-02-2011, 09:11 PM
vista home premium has the aero feature

Speedy Gonzales
17-02-2011, 08:34 AM
Might be better if you make your own post Borryss. Since it has nothing to do with this one

novu
19-02-2011, 04:43 PM
The update made my computer look like windows 98.
I'm running Vista Home Premium and something similar happened to me with this update. When I first installed it 2 days ago, it turned my taskbar to windows classic style which could not be altered. I did a system restore which fixed it. The update has just run again and done exactly the same thing. All windows etc are still vista style, just the taskbar refuses to change to any theme other than classic! Anyone else having a similar problem? Or a more permanent solution?

The Error Guy
19-02-2011, 06:03 PM
Codeplayer: You may have to reinstall vistaglazz as the update may have modified the uxtheme and other associated .dll files so windows will no linger run the unsigned theme code.

also try uninstalling/reinstalling Glazz. I personally use uxtheme beta but I think its only for windows 7