PDA

View Full Version : Assign drive letter to USB drives...

GR8Metal
08-02-2011, 09:29 AM
Hi All,

I've assigned my 2.5" USB hard drive to drive letter U: in Windows and use this for backup purposes. Sometimes when I connect this drive to the PC, it assigns a drive letter of E: Any ideas why?

Do eSATA drives have issues with drive letter assignments? (via plug
'n'play)

Cheers.

rossnixon
08-02-2011, 11:33 AM
This is what I do (am using a network, so you might not need all of this).

Open explorer and create a new folder for sharing. Something like USB. Insert the USB Drive. Open Computer Management, Disk Management and right click on the removable disk. Select Change Drive Letter and Paths. Here you can select a Drive Letter of choice by clicking Change, Select Add. Navigate to the Shared folder and Select it and press OK.

From now on when you insert the Memory stick you will have a copy of the contents in the new share. The drive letter will not change. Map the new share from the other PC's and you should be in business.

GR8Metal
08-02-2011, 02:56 PM
The issue is sometimes that drive letter does change....I have to re-assign the drive letter every now and then...

linw
08-02-2011, 03:08 PM
It sounds like you missed what Ross was recommending. He doesn't assign a drive letter directly but uses a drive/folder on your main drive. This drive/folder won't change.