PDA

View Full Version : Viewsonic Monitor Problem

bk T
08-02-2011, 12:06 AM
My 2 month-old Viewsonic VX2450wm failed to work this evening. Initially I suspected it was my video card but after 2 hours of trouble shooting, I found that it's the monitor! The problem is with the DVI input fails to work. The other input - however, the D-sub input works fine.

You reckon they will give me a replacement or will just repair it?

Will call them first thing in the morning.

Speedy Gonzales
08-02-2011, 12:07 AM
They should replace it, thats what a warranty is for

CYaBro
08-02-2011, 01:19 AM
The warranty is not just mean you get a replacement.
The last viewsonic I had that had a fault had to be sent to Christchurch.
They organize the pickup so no cost involved.
They repaired it and sent it back.

:pf1mobmini:

8ftmetalhaed
08-02-2011, 01:19 AM
another thing to perhaps test would be (if you have one available) the DVI of your graphics card using a dvi to vga converter.
If not, i'd still return it anyway.

bk T
08-02-2011, 08:28 AM
another thing to perhaps test would be (if you have one available) the DVI of your graphics card using a dvi to vga converter.
If not, i'd still return it anyway.

My video card hasn't got a D-sub and it only has two DVI. That's what I do, used a converter and connect it to the D-sub input of the Monitor right now.

The monitor's DVI input doesn't work but the D-sub input works. It happened last night after I restarted my PC.

bk T
08-02-2011, 08:28 AM

How long it takes?

Gobe1
08-02-2011, 08:35 AM

Yep i had the same, they even sent a spare while it was being repaired. Took about 1 week turnaround

dugimodo
08-02-2011, 09:16 AM
Silly question, it hasn't accidentally been set manually to the analog input ?
I ask because it's happened to me.

ryanjames.powell
08-02-2011, 09:30 AM
Yeah, I've sent my VX2433wm back twice now, once for a faulty power button/led and once for a power supply failure. Both times they repaired it and sent it back in about a week.

Agent_24
08-02-2011, 09:39 AM
Yeah, I've sent my VX2433wm back twice now, once for a power supply failure.

Bad capacitors? A replacement PSU is all well and good but if they are using junk caps (highly likely) then you'll just get the same problem again.

Best to replace them yourself with decent capacitors.

wainuitech
08-02-2011, 10:40 AM
Bad capacitors? A replacement PSU is all well and good but if they are using junk caps (highly likely) then you'll just get the same problem again.

Best to replace them yourself with decent capacitors. BAD advise - Its a 2 month old LCD, if you try doing what you suggest you can kiss away the three year warranty :groan:

Agent_24
08-02-2011, 10:57 AM
It's not bad advice, obviously you'd wait until the warranty was done, if you can't figure that out then you don't deserve a warranty.

Snorkbox
08-02-2011, 11:01 AM
It's not bad advice, obviously you'd wait until the warranty was done, if you can't figure that out then you don't deserve a warranty.

So you wait 34 months and then fix it yourself????:groan:

wainuitech
08-02-2011, 11:18 AM
It's not bad advice, obviously you'd wait until the warranty was done, if you can't figure that out then you don't deserve a warranty. You didn't state that originally.
The post suggests you replace what may be faulty caps. Then again they may not be faulty -- Hate to advise, but not all problems are due to bad caps, which seems to be a common reply to many faults.

Agent_24
08-02-2011, 12:15 PM
I never said that was the problem, I asked if it was. But it often is, which is why I said what I said. (3 out of 4 monitors I have repaired had bad caps in the PSU as the primary problem, and there are a lot of posts on the Internet of people with the same problem and same solution)

The truth is that a replacement PSU is going to be just as bad quality as the original, so it's not really going to be a good fix.

If you want to fix it properly you need to do some extra work on it.

Up to you if you want to break your warranty or not.

I think the most sensible thing to do would be a repair of anything faulty under warranty, once warranty ran out, replace all PSU capacitors regardless of condition as a precaution. (Yeah, I should have written something like this in the first place)

wainuitech
08-02-2011, 12:37 PM
:thumbs:

Phil B
08-02-2011, 09:21 PM
I've got an older VX2025 Viewsonic monitor that has the same fault. I've found if I just pull the plug out of the wall for 30 seconds & plug it back in, it works again. Until the next time. It's not going to help your problem, but it would be interesting to know if the same "fix" works with yours

bk T
08-02-2011, 09:50 PM
I've got an older VX2025 Viewsonic monitor that has the same fault. I've found if I just pull the plug out of the wall for 30 seconds & plug it back in, it works again. Until the next time. It's not going to help your problem, but it would be interesting to know if the same "fix" works with yours

Just tried it, no, it didn't work!

Phil B
08-02-2011, 10:22 PM
Worth a try. Good luck with your warranty claim

Agent_24
08-02-2011, 10:45 PM

I wouldn't be surprised if that had something to do with dodgy capacitors... :lol:

Phil B
09-02-2011, 09:22 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if that had something to do with dodgy capacitors... :lol:
Maybe it is, but me being me, I won't find out until it's dead & I'm forced to fix it :thumbs:

Trev
09-02-2011, 09:28 AM
Had a capacitor blow in a crt monitor once filled the room up with blue smoke. Luckily no other damaged was done to the monitor and got the capacitor replaced.
:)

Agent_24
09-02-2011, 09:42 AM
Yeah they can be fun when they do that... :lol:

bk T
09-02-2011, 10:00 AM
Just received the monitor on loan to me (from Monitor Tech) and have packed my faulty unit, waiting for the prepaid courier to pick it up. Their after sales service is really good:thumbs:. Just have to wait and see how soon can they return it to me.

Apparently, it seems that Viewsonic LCD's failure rate seems to be high.

Trev
09-02-2011, 10:22 AM
My Viewsonic VX2233WM LCD monitor which I have had for just over 2 years has given me no problems. On for 5 or 6 hours a day.
:)

bk T
17-02-2011, 12:20 PM
Latest Updates:

Got back my monitor yesterday afternoon, plugged in all the cables, turned on my computer, everything looks fine; but only for a short while - the brightness is certainly not as good as before and it's not stable. When I open a Window, it turns bright and dims after a second or two. Thought maybe the settings, so pressed the setting buttons but only to find that they are not responsible as before. I got to press hard and sometimes hold it for a while to more the selections up and down. Really, I'm now NOT HAPPY AT ALL!:groan:

Rang them in Christchurch, spoke to the tech but he seems to be not very helpful this time. Anyway, he will do find out more and phone me back this afternoon.

Do you guys reckon I should demand for a replacement rather than send it back for repair again?

SolMiester
17-02-2011, 12:44 PM
Latest Updates:

Got back my monitor yesterday afternoon, plugged in all the cables, turned on my computer, everything looks fine; but only for a short while - the brightness is certainly not as good as before and it's not stable. When I open a Window, it turns bright and dims after a second or two. Thought maybe the settings, so pressed the setting buttons but only to find that they are not responsible as before. I got to press hard and sometimes hold it for a while to more the selections up and down. Really, I'm now NOT HAPPY AT ALL!:groan:

Rang them in Christchurch, spoke to the tech but he seems to be not very helpful this time. Anyway, he will do find out more and phone me back this afternoon.

Do you guys reckon I should demand for a replacement rather than send it back for repair again?

I most certainly do!..2 mths and you have already sent it back, time for a replacement or new model!

bk T
17-02-2011, 01:07 PM
Do I have a ground to mention the consumer guarantees act for a replacement?

wainuitech
17-02-2011, 01:11 PM
The original problem may have been fixed and tested Ok, but they may not have picked up this fault.

Do I have a ground to mention the consumer guarantees act for a replacement?
If its a couple of months old they have the option to repair or replace.

Apparently, it seems that Viewsonic LCD's failure rate seems to be high Dont know whos saying that -- I have been selling Viewsonics for close to 10 years - sold more than I care to count, only ever had 2 actually fail in that time, and one was out of its 3 year warranty by a month, yet Viewsonic still replaced it with the latest model anyway.

Usually any problems are only a dead or bright pixel, which once again would be a replacement LCD anytime within 3 years of purchase.

8ftmetalhaed
17-02-2011, 01:17 PM
turn off dynamic contrast.
It's probably been turned on.
It looks terrible.

bk T
17-02-2011, 01:17 PM
Well, maybe, I'm the unlucky one.

I now have to set the brightness to 100% just to get the brightness of 60% as before. Just don't see the effect of a LED back-lit monitor anymore.

bk T
17-02-2011, 01:30 PM
turn off dynamic contrast.

Is there such a setting? The buttons are not responsive, so, it's frustrating to try to find the settings. :badpc:

At first, I couldn't even able to select the 'contrast/brightness' as it's greyed out. Somehow, I selected 'Memory recall' and the 'contrast/brightness' selection came back.

When it was first opened from the box, the brightness was preset to 65% (somewhere around there) and it was so bright that I had to tune it down a little but now 100% seems to be not bright enough!

8ftmetalhaed
17-02-2011, 01:46 PM
probably reset the colour settings.

Mine's really bright, and under manual image adjust should be DC.
Also, my colour is set to 7500k.
Brightness at 100%, contrast at 70%.

bk T
17-02-2011, 04:18 PM
Just spoke to the tech guy again in Christchurch and they rejected my request for a replacement. :(. They will order a new mainboard and will contact me again when the board arrives.

Conclusion: NO MORE VIEWSONIC monitors

zqwerty
17-02-2011, 04:38 PM
Consumer Guarantees Act Updated 01 Mar 2009
The guarantees
Under the Act, your consumer rights are expressed as a series of "guarantees" that a seller automatically makes to you when you buy any good or service ordinarily purchased for personal use. We explain them below.
Goods
Retailers and other such suppliers guarantee their goods will:
 Be of acceptable quality (see definition below).
 Be fit for a particular purpose that you asked about.
 Match the description given in advertisements or sales brochures, or by the sales assistant.
 Match the sample or demonstration model.
 Be owned by the consumer, once purchased.
 Be a reasonable price, if no price or pricing formula has been previously agreed.
Manufacturers (the definition includes importers) in New Zealand guarantee that:
 Spare parts and repair facilities will be available for a reasonable time.
 They will honour any written warranty that comes with their products.
 Goods are of acceptable quality.
 Goods match their description.
Services
Service providers guarantee their services will be:
 Performed with reasonable care and skill.
 Fit for the particular purpose they were supplied for.
 Completed within a reasonable time.
 A reasonable price, if no price or pricing formula has been previously agreed.
Acceptable quality
This means goods:
 Do what they are made to do.
 Are acceptable in appearance and finish.
 Are free from minor defects.
 Are safe and durable.
The Act's terms "reasonable" and "acceptable" are deliberately open-ended. It depends on what a reasonable consumer would think was acceptable based on the nature of the goods, the price, and any statements that have been made about the goods. A concert violin is required to meet a higher standard than a child's cheap instrument. Ultimately a tribunal referee or a judge may have to decide what is reasonable or acceptable in the circumstances.
If a defect was pointed out to you before you bought the good, then it doesn't count towards making it unacceptable.
Putting it right
If something goes wrong, you have the right to insist that the seller or service provider fixes things.
Generally speaking, this means the retailer who sold you the goods or services must sort out the problem. If the stitching comes apart on your fairly new shoes, you don't have to track down the manufacturer or importer, you simply take them back to the shop.
If the problem is minor, and can be fixed, the retailer can choose to either repair, replace or refund.
A service provider must fix the problem within a reasonable time.
If the problem cannot be fixed, or cannot be put right within a reasonable time, or is substantial, you can:
 Reject the product and choose a replacement of the same type or similar value or a full refund of your purchase price; or
 Claim compensation for any drop in the value of the product or service.
 Cancel the service contract, pay for any satisfactory work already done, and get someone else to finish the repairs; or
 Have it repaired elsewhere and recover the costs from the retailer, if they refuse to fix a faulty product, or fail to do so in a reasonable time.
When you have the right to reject the goods, sellers cannot just offer a credit note. If you want a refund, you are entitled to it - by cash, cheque or credit card charge reversal.
Substantial means:
 A reasonable consumer wouldn't have bought the goods if they'd known about the fault.
 The goods are significantly different from their description, sample or demonstration model.
 The goods are substantially unfit for purpose.
 The goods are unsafe.
Consequential loss
In addition to these rights, consumers may also claim for any reasonably foreseeable extra loss that results from the initial problem. If your new washing machine won't work properly you can claim for laundry costs or the cost of hiring a replacement machine while the first one is being fixed.
If you have to post or courier goods back to be repaired, you don't have to pay for those costs.
The compensation for consequential loss must put you back in the position you would have been in if the goods or service hadn't been faulty.
Guarantees on replacement models
When a faulty product is replaced, any manufacturer's warranty on the product usually runs only from the original purchase date.
So, if a six month old washing machine is replaced because it is faulty, and there was originally a 12 month manufacturer's warranty on it, then this warranty will have six months to run on the new machine.
However, the Consumer Guarantees Act applies to the replacement, so you will still have all the rights you're entitled to when buying a brand new machine.

Manufacturers and importers
If there is a problem you can complain to the manufacturer, if it has an office in New Zealand, or where the goods are imported, to the importer or distributor.
Where there has been a breach of the Act, manufacturers and importers are obliged to:
 Pay compensation, and/or pay for any loss in value; and
 Honour any express warranty they gave which gives the consumer greater protection than in the Act.
Complaining to the manufacturer is useful when, for example, the retailer has gone out of business or is proving hopeless to deal with. But in most cases it should be easier to insist on your rights directly with the retailer.
If a product has parts made by different manufacturers, you can claim against any or all of them. In practice however, your best bet may be to contact the one whose name is on the product.
Taking it further
You may be in the right, but what do you do if the trader refuses to accept what the law says?
If, for whatever reason, you can't get satisfaction on a complaint, you have several options:
 Go to the Disputes Tribunal for cases up to $15,000 or $20,000 if both parties agree.
 Go to any complaints service offered by an industry body, such as the Insurance & Savings Ombudsman, Banking Ombudsman, or Electricity & Gas Complaints Commission.
 If you have a problem with a car bought from a dealer, you can go to the Motor Vehicle Disputes Tribunal or the Disputes Tribunal. See Car buyers' rights for more information on how to make a claim.
 Go to court.
 A number of traders belong to trade associations (such as the Registered Master Builders Federation), or professional bodies (such as the Law Society). These organisations may provide avenues for redress. See Who to Call to find out more.
 Write to the Commerce Commission if you think a supplier has misled you about your rights.

From here:
http://www.consumer.org.nz/reports/consumer-guarantees-act/the-guarantees

http://www.consumer.org.nz/reports/consumer-guarantees-act/putting-it-right

bk T
17-02-2011, 06:48 PM
Just notice that the S/N No. from the 'Information' in the setting menu is different from the sticker at the rear of the monitor. Does it mean that the 'mainboard' has been changed when they were doing the repair or something not quite right along the production line?

wainuitech
17-02-2011, 07:11 PM
If the problem is minor, and can be fixed, the retailer can choose to either repair, replace or refund. And there lays the key words.

They will order a new mainboard and will contact me again when the board arrives.

The monitor is not being refused to be fixed, just simply not replaced - they are well well within the manufactures rights under the CGA.

Just notice that the S/N No. from the 'Information' in the setting menu is different from the sticker at the rear of the monitor. Does it mean that the 'mainboard' has been changed when they were doing the repair or something not quite right along the production line? Obviously the first repair had a component (s) changed, the problem that has now arisen may not have been happening after they did the repair.

They should have supplied a worksheet with after the repair stating what was done ( or the retailer should have). In fact you shouldn't even be handling the problem, the shop you purchased it from should be.

Some people jump up and down all the time quoting the CGA - when in fact they only know some of the rights. The supplier or manufactures as rights as well. In this case a repair is not being refused, and the supplier is well within their rights. If they refused to repair it, then thats a different matter.

The most common one is time taken - the CGA - usually states 2-3 weeks is a reasonable time for Computer repairs.
How long should repairs take?

It depends on the type of problem, and whether parts need to be sent back to the manufacturer. Some retailers tell us they aim to fix problems within two days, but in our opinion two to three weeks is more likely. If you ask how long the repair will take you're entitled to rely on their answer. If they take longer than that time, you have rights under the CGA.

8ftmetalhaed
18-02-2011, 12:13 AM
Did you check your colour settings?
Honestly, changing those can make a MEGA difference.

bk T
18-02-2011, 07:41 AM
Did you check your colour settings?
Honestly, changing those can make a MEGA difference.

What setting do you recommend? It's preset to 6500k.

Anyway, the up + down buttons are just not responsive and it's very difficult to make any changes. I do notice that the colour is a little blueish.

Whatever the case, I'll replace the mainboard when it arrives next week.

wainuitech
18-02-2011, 07:59 AM
Just check re the colours -- check the settings on your graphic card or onboard graphics as well.

One of my Viewsonics, the desktop looked horrible, and after resetting the graphic card back to default settings it then looked like it should.

Just checked on mine and its set to 6500K as well ( Viewsonic VX2240W)

As for the buttons - Does sound like they may be faulty someplace, but they will fix it.

Just curious-- Why are you handling the repair - The shop you purchased it from should be doing that ?

bk T
18-02-2011, 11:16 AM
The shop you purchased it from should be doing that ?

Nope. they want me to deal Monitor Tech direct. Bought it through a friend who works in a computer shop with a good discount.

wainuitech
18-02-2011, 11:56 AM
Nope. they want me to deal Monitor Tech direct. Bought it through a friend who works in a computer shop with a good discount.Hmmmm Thanks for clearing that up :)

Call me suspicious but I wonder why they wont deal with Monitor Tech like they should.

May be wrong, but just got a gut feeling somethings not quite "right" with "this good discount" -- Hopefully I'm wrong.

Phil B
18-02-2011, 06:30 PM
I found this a while ago when I was trying to see what's wrong with mine. It's a reset to the factory defaults. It worked with mine, so maybe it'll do the same for you.
Monitor OFF
Hold button 2 down
Press & release power button to power up monitor
Wait for the power button LED to change to amber
Release button 2
Press button 1 for options
Select "F" Factory reset
Everything should be reset to how it leaves the factory

bk T
18-02-2011, 08:11 PM
I found this a while ago when I was trying to see what's wrong with mine. It's a reset to the factory defaults. It worked with mine, so maybe it'll do the same for you.
Monitor OFF
Hold button 2 down
Press & release power button to power up monitor
Wait for the power button LED to change to amber
Release button 2
Press button 1 for options
Select "F" Factory reset
Everything should be reset to how it leaves the factory

1. What was your monitor's problem, similar to mine?
2. Do I have to turn OFF the computer?
3. Is it the same model? Mine is VX2450wm.
4. If something goes wrong, will it void the warranty?

Cheers

wainuitech
18-02-2011, 08:41 PM
4. If something goes wrong, will it void the warranty? Pressing buttons and resetting factory defaults will NOT void a warranty.

What will, is dismantling it.

Phil B
18-02-2011, 08:47 PM
Mine's a different monitor (VX2025) But I assume the reset will still work. All it's doing is resetting all the settings back to the original factory settings. After mine has been running for a while & has warmed up fully & I reboot the computer. The monitor will flick on & off until the end of time. If I pull the plug out the wall, leave it for 30 secs & plug it back in & power it up, all is well until I reboot again. I can't see it voiding any warranty as you're not doing anything physically to the monitor. I was thinking it might sort out your brightness problem. Although if you have it set on one of the presets (RGB Etc) you can't adjust some of the settings. Try it & see if it works

Phil B
18-02-2011, 08:48 PM
Leave the computer on. What you do with the monitor won't affect the computer

Phil B
18-02-2011, 08:54 PM
What's the link for pull the plug out of the wall??? Who did that?? No me

bk T
18-02-2011, 09:10 PM
Problem is, the buttons (except '1') are not responsive at all.

Anyway I'll give it a go.

bk T
18-02-2011, 09:14 PM
Tried it just now. There isn't any factory reset option, most likely the '2' button isn't working!

wainuitech
18-02-2011, 09:34 PM
Try this, just did it on mine and :waughh: I now need sunglasses its so damn bright :cool: but crystal clear to the point of having to dim it.

Press 1 , scroll down with the arrow keys to"memory Recall'

Press 2, the screen should go black, then come back on, press 1 if asked to save.

Phil B
18-02-2011, 09:46 PM
Does button 2 feel the same as button 1 when you press it in?

Phil B
18-02-2011, 09:48 PM
The "F" option doesn't come up unless you do the button 2 power up

bk T
18-02-2011, 09:53 PM
Try this, just did it on mine and :waughh: I now need sunglasses its so damn bright :cool: but crystal clear to the point of having to dim it.

Press 1 , scroll down with the arrow keys to"memory Recall'

Press 2, the screen should go black, then come back on, press 1 if asked to save.

I did that earlier on it does improve a little but it's still far, far from its original state! The brightness is now 100% but it's only about 50-60% when new.

Anyway, the buttons are not responsive at all and that makes me frustrated! Really, I don't know what have they (Monitor Tech) done to my monitor. The guy I talked to claims that they didn't do anything to it other than fixing the DVI problem. But look at the condition of my monitor now, I'm pretty sure that they did messed it up, as it was not like this before!

Phil B
18-02-2011, 10:02 PM
If I were you & you got the monitor from a bricks & mortar store. I'd take it back, tell them you tried the warranty return, it was unsatisfactory as it didn't work properly upon return & you want a replacement or your money back. Get the manager there, threaten CGA, Fair Trading, Fair Go & anything else that comes to mind & walk out the store with your replacement or your money back

bk T
18-02-2011, 10:16 PM
If I were you & you got the monitor from a bricks & mortar store. I'd take it back, tell them you tried the warranty return, it was unsatisfactory as it didn't work properly upon return & you want a replacement or your money back. Get the manager there, threaten CGA, Fair Trading, Fair Go & anything else that comes to mind & walk out the store with your replacement or your money back

I do agree with Wainutech's view that I most likely will not win the case if CGA, etc. is to be mentioned.

Life is such, at times lucky and at times unlucky!

Anyway, they have promised to put in a new board and I'll wait for the next repair outcomes before taking the next move.

Thanks for sharing your views, etc., etc. :thanks

wainuitech
18-02-2011, 10:18 PM
If I were you & you got the monitor from a bricks & mortar store. I'd take it back, tell them you tried the warranty return, it was unsatisfactory as it didn't work properly upon return & you want a replacement or your money back. Thats actually what should be happening, Please refer back to post 41 and my reply 42.

Something dont "fit right" -- Meaning I think theres more to this "good deal" from a friend than they are letting on.

It doesn't matter if they sold it to you at giveaway prices, that doesn't allow them to "cop out" of their responsibility and you have to handle a warranty problem.

Phil B
18-02-2011, 10:26 PM
mmm, yes, see what you mean. It looks like it may be that the management of the shop don't know that the monitor was actually sold to someone other than a staff member & now whoever the person is (staff member), is shittin bricks lol

Agent_24
18-02-2011, 11:01 PM
Maybe when they reassembled the monitor after repair they didn't mount the button board properly and the plastic buttons on the monitor aren't making contact with the actual switches inside.

Seen this happen on a CRT monitor when someone didn't put the case back together properly and jammed the buttons.

Phil B
18-02-2011, 11:05 PM
Could be dodgy capacitors too lol :thumbs:

Agent_24
18-02-2011, 11:11 PM
Actually it's funny you should say that, I'm having a problem with one of my monitors and currently I suspect a capacitor array in the button circuit to be shorted, which makes it appear to the monitor as if the button is stuck down.

I am going to replace the array when I get some more supplies and hopefully that will fix it...

Phil B
18-02-2011, 11:17 PM
If u buy em by the 100 you getta good discount? ;)

I'm no expert but I can't see a capacitor causing that sort of problem. More likely to be an IC fault, or the switch open/shorted. As I said, I'm no expert

Agent_24
18-02-2011, 11:33 PM
Probably but it was cheaper to buy just a pack of 5...

The circuit for the buttons is shown attached. There are 6 identical circuits, one for each button.

Since the capacitor is in parallel with the switch, any short circuit of this would simulate a button press. In-circuit testing showed that this is quite likely the problem.

Phil B
18-02-2011, 11:45 PM
To my way of thinking, the capacitor is there to protect the IC & eliminate any possible spike created when the switch is pressed. Put a test meter across the capacitor legs & see if there's a dead short. Some meters also have a capacitance test. I'm one of these people that knows enough to be dangerous :devil Normally in my line of work, if it's not a simple fix & you can bash it with a big hammer, bash it. Or take it to someone who can do it properly. I'd advise the latter with a monitor