PDA

View Full Version : Laptop power adapter

Fifthdawn
06-02-2011, 03:05 PM
Hi PressF1

Today I dropped my power adapter and it started to spark when I plugged it in, so I think its time for a new one.

However the defualt 90w power adapter that I got with the laptop (and is now broken) seemed to get very hot and would sometimes cut out, I assume due to theramal limit. I noticed that dell has had some trouble with shipping some of their laptops with power adapters that are too weak and was wondering if I could get a 130w power supply. This is mainly where I get into trouble, as I am not really sure if this could damage my system.

The power supply that I have now (90W) is rated as:
AC Input: 100 ~ 240V 50~60Hz
DC Output: 19.5V 4.62A 90W

The 130W adapter is:
DC Output: 19.5V 6.7A 130W

Thanks

pctek
06-02-2011, 04:09 PM
http://www.laptopbatteries.co.nz/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=65&sort=20a&page=2

Billy T
06-02-2011, 06:19 PM
Hi PressF1

Today I dropped my power adapter and it started to spark when I plugged it in, so I think its time for a new one.

However the defualt 90w power adapter that I got with the laptop (and is now broken) seemed to get very hot and would sometimes cut out, I assume due to theramal limit. I noticed that dell has had some trouble with shipping some of their laptops with power adapters that are too weak and was wondering if I could get a 130w power supply. This is mainly where I get into trouble, as I am not really sure if this could damage my system.

The power supply that I have now (90W) is rated as:
DC Output: 19.5V 4.62A 90W

The 130W adapter is:
DC Output: 19.5V 6.7A 130W

Thanks

If you are worried about the increased wattage or current ratings, they only represent the "ability to supply" and your laptop will still use the correct power. Voltage is the principal criteria, so the higher rated supply will just run cooler, that's all, and be all the more reliable for it!

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

jinja_thom
06-02-2011, 09:00 PM
After the voltage and the minimum wattage the next critical property is the plug that fits to the laptop. There are about 50 million different plugs on these things and they tend to be model specific so a generic or 3rd party adapter may not fit physically into the socket on the laptop.

(50 million is probably a slight exageration) but it seems like that when trying to find one that fits.

Sometimes the only answer is to cut and paste the output lead and then you have to be careful about polarity, it is DC and if you get it wrong, that's when you could wipe out your computer.
My advice would be stick to the manufacturers replacement part, your risking a $500-600 laptop main board for the sake of a $50-60 power adapter

Fifthdawn
07-02-2011, 01:53 PM
So basically that power of the adapter doesn't matter, so long as the connector on the adapter is compatible with my laptop I should be ok?

inphinity
07-02-2011, 02:11 PM
So basically that power of the adapter doesn't matter, so long as the connector on the adapter is compatible with my laptop I should be ok?

The voltage must also be correct.

Chilling_Silence
07-02-2011, 02:15 PM
Yeah Voltage + Adapter is what matters most. The universal ones you can get from DSE for $70 sometime are pretty good, they let you set the voltage and have a myriad of interchangeable adapters. Wattage will just make the battery charge faster AFAIK.

Alex B
07-02-2011, 03:27 PM
Dells are fussy and will give you a POST warning (and from memory won't charge the battery) if you use some adaptors, I would go genuine or oem replacement over a universal.