PDA

View Full Version : Possibly in trouble again!

Billy T
06-02-2011, 12:45 AM
I just installed Stylish, followed by Erayd's script to clean up my PF1 page, which I had mangled by various means, mostly incompetence, then decided to reboot to get a clean start. The normal boot procedure followed with XP indicating that it was loading then the screen went blank, no cursor, no mouse no nuthin!!

I tried a couple of reboots but that made no difference, tried again with F8 and got an invitation to try last known good configuration, but all that did was get an apology and sorry, can't fix.

In desperation I crawled under the desk and shut the power off, left it for a couple of minutes, switched on and tried again, but with the same result so I left it on and went back to my main task for the evening which was loading software onto the laptop for my daughter (gee its a little honey too, I do like Toshiba gear, but I digress!)

I had also loaded the same script on the laptop, because my daughter thinks PF1 is wonderful and since I won't be available to help, she intends to be on line on her own account from Melbourne! It didn't cause any problems there so I'm wondering what other surprises I am in for.

About five minutes later I looked up and the logon screen was staring me in the face, it had come back to life. Just looked again and a RAID 'volume initialisation' is in progress so something weird must have happened!

So, what is the recommended procedure when the OS won't boot fully. Does a repair install of XP leave the other programs intact or is it destructive? Better I find out now than when it is to late.

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :help:

Cato
06-02-2011, 05:56 AM
Have you tried booting into safemode?

pctek
06-02-2011, 07:50 AM
So, what is the recommended procedure when the OS won't boot fully. Does a repair install of XP leave the other programs intact or is it destructive?

Yes the repair install is great, it won't touch anything other than the systems files.

However occasionally you won't get the option - if it's too damaged.

Agent_24
06-02-2011, 09:39 AM
Your problems wouldn't have been caused by Stylish.

More like coincidence and your RAID array was playing up again.

I guess you figured this out already though...

Billy T
06-02-2011, 11:03 AM
Yeah, it was all back to normal this morning. I did try to access safe mode but the problem was more fundamental and the only option offered was last known good configuration, which bummed out.

I now know for sure what the problem is with the RAID array, I found out a week or so back that it is the latest version of the driver, or at least the one I am using. It causes problems with all brands of disks, but particularly dislikes the WD640GB model that I have. Wouldn't you know it! I'm about to revert back to the previous glitch-free version but I have more pressing duties right now getting this laptop finished.

Next post on that coming up in a few minutes!!!

Cheers

Billy 8-{)