PDA

View Full Version : What's your general atititude with computers

26-09-2001, 05:16 PM
Question: Do you try and make your system work perfectly, or do you just want the damn thing to work. not fixing it unless something's broken?
Ilogical Vulcan

26-09-2001, 05:49 PM
With windows I used to keep it working perfectly, but now I just do a reinstall every 6 months and live with it in between (currently at 5 months).
My networking is barely working but if I had to do another restart I was probably going to break something.
I also avoid buggy/insecure programs like IE and OE, which also helps.

I keep linux working perfectly, although compared to windows its a lot less work.

26-09-2001, 05:56 PM
Vulcan,
I'm a perfectionist, so for me, if it's not the fastest, most streamlined machine it can possibly be, then I'm not happy.

I also like to 'play' and find out how I can do things differently to speed my work up.

However, often my 'playing' and my constant fiddling creates problems that were never there. Personally I take these as a learning curve, and find nutting-out the problem I've caused to be part of the fun. (That's not say that I don't swear and kick the table any less often than anyone else when things go wrong, it just means I learn from my mistakes).

This does mean that I often spend more time 'fixing' my machine than the time I will save by its new-found performance.

In conclusion, its very subjective. If you are happy with it, and it works, then leave it alone, if you want it to go faster, or aren't totally happy and don't mind spending hours fixing the tiniest of problems, then fiddle away.

I have a feeling your not happy are you? Why else would you be writing this post :) Happy 'playing'!

26-09-2001, 06:27 PM
I can only agree with everything Graham says. Love to see what I can do to make things go 'that little bit better', then end up having to fix it all again - but learn from the experience.

Sums me up exactly lol

26-09-2001, 07:06 PM
I just try to keep windows working ok. I do a defrag and that stuff about once every fortnight. But as soon as I get my own computer I'll be trying out Linux, and mucking round with lots of things to get my computer very stable and quick.

JM

26-09-2001, 07:56 PM
I'm pretty much like Graham, I like my computer to run perfectly, and fast, so much so that I have no programs in startup, defrag approx every three days, have no sound card, don't play any games, and no anti virus programs. I only get one email every couple of days and if I don't know who its from I delete it. Mind you my computer is a workhorse, I work with photoshop and pagemaker all the time. My kids computers are the complete opposite, and crash all the time.

26-09-2001, 08:01 PM
My favorite motto is 'if it works ok, tweak it'

26-09-2001, 08:20 PM
'tweak it till it breaks' sums me up pretty well. the nick is very well earned. its been about a year or so since i've format/reinstalled, which is amazing concidering the amount of tweaking, overclocking, crashing, installs, uninstalls and heaven forbid the never ending updates of all the games and apps i use and try out. hence i'm always on the lookout for new ideas/ways to fix/tweak things.

however when fixing other peoples its about fixing holes/bugs etc, making it secure and makeing it run smoooth as possible(not neccary the fastest possiable)

27-09-2001, 11:36 AM
Tweak it to within an inch of its life is my attitude. Windows is a horribly bloated unstable beast prior to genetic modification via tweaking. Once you remove most of it its very fast and stable. Its just a pity you cannot make it fully secure.

30-09-2001, 09:40 AM
Thats right John, I think of Windows as an elephant on roller skates - way top heavy & unstable. On installation of Windows there should be the option - 'click now if you want to install Megs of stupid wav files, Lame graphics and other useless crap you'll never use'.

02-10-2001, 03:56 PM
Personally I like to try and fix things that don't work all the time as that is how you learn (and swear!!) Besides if windows worked all the time I would be out of a job !!